Day 18: Merida - Grampies' Poc Chuc Pursuit Winter 2021 - CycleBlaze

December 12, 2021

Day 18: Merida

I think I can call this a new day, since it's after 1 a.m. as I am beginning to tell this story. Thanks to those who have expressed kind wishes for Dodie, I won't try to acknowledge each individually, but keep those cards and letters coming so I have something to read to her!

We started out from Celestun at 4 a.m. so we could cycle in the dark and then the cool for as long as possible. We hatched this plan when we realized we could avoid going back to Uman before heading south to our goal of Uxmal, by cutting out diagonally south on back roads. Only thing, this way, there were no hotels until Uxmal, a run of over 120 km. So we decided to leave early and just go for it.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Celestun, 4.a.m.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some interesting fauna
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be a malachite. Closest I could find to an image match.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siproeta_stelenes
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
...and flora
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like maybe spurred butterfly pea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrosema_virginianum
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We made good progress, and were having our usual kind of fun. For example, in Maxcanu a veritable flood of moto taxis kept coming our way from the centre, so we followed them back and found a moderately busy market day going on. But most interesting were those motorized or on bike religious pilgrims. We can't figure out their deal! We joined their parade leaving town, but with the language barrier, failed to learn what we were parading for.

Pilgrim support vehicle
Heart 2 Comment 0
Circling the square
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joining the parade out of town
Heart 2 Comment 0
What exactly is their deal?
Heart 3 Comment 0

We parted company at Muna, where they turned north toward Merida, while we continued south, toward Uxmal.  For some kilometers prior to this we had run  into the famed Puuc hills, which are relatively low, but a big deal in flat Yucatan. The road to this point had been cut into the hill side, making it still level. But the turn at Muna put us into an up and over situation.

The climb was long and slow, but some notable altitude must have been attained, because we began  to pick up a lot of speed on the back side. Dodie is famous for wearing out brakes, because she hates going fast. That made it a little unusual that I was following her at about 40 kph. We'll never know why this was, because now she remembers nothing since the leaving of Celestun.

I recall thinking "Good thing this bike is really smooth, because this is a little fast for fully loaded". That's when Dodie's bike developed a wobble. In short order I think her wheel turned radically to the side, probably as she tried to compensate. But I would guess the wheel found itself going down at right angles to the direction of fall, and in a split second everything went flying. Dodie hit the pavement hard, and all handlebar bag contents were evenly spread over the highway. 

I was able to stop before piling into the crash scene, but not without ditching my bike, though in a controlled ditching.

We now have a repetition of something that happened in Florida, when we were both taken down by a truck. I ran up to Dodie, this time to find her unconscious and blood gushing from her head. I tried to determine if she was alive or dead, but could get no response.  At least in Florida when I was screaming at her "You have to get out of the road", she could say "Don't try to move me".

The first car to stop was a local (Merida) tour guide and two tourists from Paris. They were wonderful. They found a blanket or towel for shade and held it up, called 911, and began to gather our things from the road. 

In short order  we also had about six police, and soon an  "ambulance" came. Now in this rather remote region they do not actually have an ambulance, so this was a medical transport van. On  the van , though, was a paramedic who did an excellent job in the circumstances. Dodie had revived enough to be continuously yelping ow, ow. I think after checking for allergy, the paramedic gave a shot of pain killer. But it looked like a broken/dislocated shoulder, and that is intensely painful if moved. 

Bicycle wheel in crash position
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trying to give shade
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dead or alive?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Parisians find a shade cloth, tour guide looks on from the left. Police helping out.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Andrea BrownI'm going to like this photo because the kindness of strangers is something that always brings me nearly to tears. It's been said that there is no god as merciful as a man who flips a beetle off of his back. In the middle of catastrophe, there they are, the helpers.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The excellent paramedic, Police woman later sat back to back with Dodie to give support after she managed to sit up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Police escort into van.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This happened in the full mid day sun, so other than kissing her and trying to get a response, I was taking care to shade her with my body.

Not fully understanding the limitations of the van,  I was surprised that there was no stretcher, body board, or even blanket, which could be used to lift a victim off the ground. We did have a pile of police and others now, and maybe could have coordinated a lift. But that would be no use, because there was no place to lie down in the van.

As for a real ambulance, it would have to come from Merida, over an hour away, and besides they were not answering the phone.  The paramedic began to insist that the only way was for Dodie to rise up and sit in a van  seat. Amazingly, after maybe only an  hour on the pavement, with a lot of help, she did just that!

I had asked the police to take our bikes and gear to the hotel we had reserved in Uxmal, but the guide and Parisians and I realized that by folding the bikes they could be stashed in the back of the van. We did that, and just one hour after the crash (I just confirmed that from the time stamps on my photos) we were on our way to hospital.

Ok, not quite. The van  did not have enough gas to get to Merida! For some reason the solution for this was to return to medical van headquarters in Muna, and swap for a van that had more gas. This required  Dodie to descend and reascend into an identical van. There was a lot of pain in that, and fewer helpers. 

For years prior and days prior we have been cursing and also debating the speed bumps that Mexico  liberally sprinkles it highways with. No doubt this slows some speeders, but it also jostles or can throw cyclists. Now in this case, each bump moved Dodie's arm. The van  was also an old gearshift model, which is inherently jerky.

As much as two hours later, if I read the timestamps correctly, we pulled into a hospital in Merida. As is common in less developed countries, there are different standards of care according to ecolnomic class, and hospitals can be hot, dirty, and crowded. But at our hospital the standards actually exceeded, even far exceeded, what we might expect in Canada.

Doctors and nurses appeared almost immediately, and in fairly good English, made explanations and guided us closely. Dodie was whisked into a trauma room, and got continuous attention  from a doctor and two nurses. Soon she was taken to xray and eeg, and soon again the doctor was back with the pictures and results. The brain  looked ok and the arm (not shoulder) was broken. In short order again, the orthopedic surgeon appeared, and explained about the arm and the needed treatment - which would not include surgery!

Trauma room
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Orthopedic surgeon and nurse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sewing up the head
Heart 0 Comment 1
Andrea BrownI have to say it. In the US right now you (Steve) would not have been allowed inside the hospital because of Covid and acute overcrowding. Dodie might have sat in the waiting room for hours or days, alone. This is such a terrible event yet there have been some deeply lucky things about it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

But wait, what about our gear, bikes, money, passports out in the van? Somewhere in this, the driver and I went looking for a hotel.  Being from the sticks, I guess, he first chose a one star place, that in any event only had an  upstairs room. Off we went again, and he brought me to a two star place that had a downstairs room. 500 pesos - cash in advance? Deal! Only thing, I had no money. I had left it with Dodie in her wallet. Senior cycle executives like me don't deal with mundane details like money, bookings, passports, or much of anything, I guess! They may not even know precisely where in our gear  these things lurk. But, I convinced the hotel man to sit on our bikes and gear, which the driver and I stuffed in the room, as collateral.

Time to say  goodbye to the driver. We had had all those paramedic services and a two hour van ride. Ten minutes on a taxi out of Cancun airport can cost $50. So now what? So no charge, the driver had me understand. The kindness of the people here is phenomenal!

Road angel driver
Heart 5 Comment 0

I walked back to the hospital, where the doctor was stitching Dodie's head back together.  Now with IV pain killer, with saline, and with antibiotic, Dodie was ushered to a cool, spotless, private room. Our nurses came along, to supervise the transfer from gurney to bed, show me how to use the AC, discuss the router login code, introduce us to the floor staff, and so forth. Amazing, and I don't think the cost will exceed what a Canadian hospital extracts from a walk in foreign national.

And Dodie, now at 3 a.m. sleeping soundly. She needs to build up her strength, because I already told her we'll walk not taxi to our two star digs in the morning!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 11
Leslie and Rob CookeThere are plenty of private transfer company's that would cost somewhere around 4,000-5,000 pesos to take you to Cancun but there is also a luxury bus that is very comfortable with seats that recline almost flat and a ridiculous amount of leg room that might actually be more comfortable. Tickets are around 800 pesos. The bus is an ADO and it's the platino line. They leave from the paseo 60 stop and Alta Brisa ADO stop.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauEgads, what a nasty crash. Give Dodie my best wishes for recovery. Good luck to you too. You've got a lot of extra work ahead of you.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettSo sorry to hear about Dodie's accident! How horrible to end your tour this way, but it sounds like she had excellent medial care. Hopefully she heals quickly so you can get back on the road soon!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Sue PriceOh you two!!! What a harrowing experience! We are so glad to know that Dodie is ok, but oh my! That's going to take some time to heal. We are so sorry this happened to you and are sending you both so much love. ❤️

Sue and Jim
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen JonesHealing thoughts going your way. So sorry to hear about your travails on your travels.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonOh no! Healing thoughts to Dodie from me, too. So glad she got such good care. I'm sure you are going to experience some more good times while still in Mexico, on or off your bikes. Keep us posted.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
David MathersWe're really sorry to hear about your accident Dodie. Hope your trip back to Cancun goes smoothly and you have a safe, stress free trip back home. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Take care, Dave and Anne
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Erika PaxmanGoodness, what an unfortunate event. Loads of love to you both. We will wait by the phone to help however we can. Take care!!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonI’m so sorry! How scary for you Steve and painful for you Dodie.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanThis makes me so sad for you both. But it is great to hear what excellent care Dodie had the whole way through. And such wonderful, generous people came to help you every way they could!

I wish for you, Dodie, to recover quickly and fully. My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry this happened.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierOh no! I'm so sorry about Dodie's accident! This is terrible news. My most sincere sympathies and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago