Powered by Poc Chuc? - Grampies' Poc Chuc Pursuit Winter 2021 - CycleBlaze

November 15, 2021

Powered by Poc Chuc?

Most countries that we are familiar with have one or two dishes that are the standard "go to's" for a large swath of the population. For example, the hamburger is definitely king in North America. And we can probably agree on Wiener Schnitzel for Germany, pasta for Italy, and perhaps moules frites or steak frites for France.  For Spain, it would be either dry ham on a plain bun or calamari on a plain bun.  If you think I am nuts on any of these, then put a flame in the Comments!

Now for Mexico, there is Taco, or maybe burrito. Actually, a quick Google search seems to mentions things like 1. Chilaquiles · 2. Pozole · 3. Tacos al pastor · 4. Tostadas · 5. Chiles en nogada · 6. Elote · 7. Enchiladas · 8. Mole.

And then, on learning of our plan to cycle in Yucatan, Joni chipped in Salbutes, Panuchos, Papadzules,  and for dessert, Marquesitas.

Frankly, I am not necessarily sure what most of these things are, and actually we do not often, or ever, visit such Mexican restaurants as may exist here in frozen Canada. But in 2018 we found ourselves in Cancun, and I got sent to find some take out food. A restaurant suggested "poc chuc", and in my case it turned out to be made with chicken.  Wow, instant love affair! This dish has everything you need to reach food nirvana - BBQ flavour, pickled flavour, salad, rice, beans, lemon, avocado, and a stack of flour tortillas on the side! It turns out that, as you read below, Poc Chuc is a signature dish of Yucatan. And it seems that although generic Mexican food is not necessarily our favourite, the Yucatan region is something else again.

"Poc chuc is a Mexican dish of meat, commonly pork, that is prepared in citrus marinade and cooked over a grill. Poc chuc is often served with a side of rice, pickled onion, refried beans, and avocado. Poc chuc is one of the signature dishes of the Yucatán." (Wikipedia)

Poc chuc has everything
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonLooks and sounds delicious!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Now, I'm not saying that Poc Chuc is the reason for spending big bucks just to nip over (6000 km) to Yucatan for a month. That would be crazy, right? OK, yes, Yucatan also has Mayan ruins, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico coastlines, many quiet rural roads, reasonable prices, nice people (most of whom are not shooting you or each other, except in Cancun), and of course warm weather in Winter.

Still and all, it was in Yucatan that we came to recognize that Mexican people really do have a knack for fresh and wholesome food (and oh, Coca Cola and the most atrocious gas station junk food). For the Grampies, that is a big draw.

So the Poc Chuc Pursuit is a spin through Yucatan , where we will be searching out that good food, the quiet roads, and the other good things of this unique place.

To put you quickly in the picture, here is where it is:

North of Guatemala, south of Louisiana
Heart 0 Comment 0

Looking a little closer, we see spots like Chichen Itza and Tulum and Coba, all Mayan cities, and the "Mexican Riviera" on the Caribbean coast from Tulum north.  It all seems super famous and like everybody knows about it. But, do they know where is the best and cheapest Poc Chuc? Maybe by the end of this blog they will!

Mayan cities
Heart 2 Comment 1
Don SkerikI would recommend Campeche, Palenque and Agua Azul Waterfalls. I was there about 25 years ago. Have fun. I would join you in Portugal and Spain.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 16
Comment on this entry Comment 26
Scott AndersonYou’re going back to the Yucatán? Wow! You really must be getting sick of the rain and cold up there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamHurrah something to read in the mornings now the Andersons are back in Portland. Our wheels are so itchy but I guess I need to be patient and learn to walk properly again before we go any where
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownHm. I think I need to hunt down some Poc Chuc in Portland, that looks amazing. Happy hunting and riding!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonWell lessee, the Malahat is closed south of here due to flooding, Hwy 1 is closed north of Duncan due to flooding, and a giant tree fell across our driveway. Yeah, we're outta here, assuming we can find the exit!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Andrea BrownIt's possible, but Yucatan specialties do not seem to be among the standard Mexican food items. On the other hand if you can find some bottled sour orange you can marinate the meat and BBQ it. The other items on the plate are a bit more standard.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonTo add a new dimension to this visit we also plan to push all the way west from Merida, to Celestun, where the flamingoes are waiting for my low quality camera.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Tricia GrahamWill; there be the big day soon when you can spin the pedals 360- degrees?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThat would be great to see flamingos! I hope you have a wonderful trip! You deserve it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThere are at least four spots that serve Poc Chuc in Portland, a quick search reveals. There are dozens of other Latino food trucks out there that don't have a web menu so the odds are that a few of them may have some Yucatan specialities. But nothing beats eating a cuisine in its home location with fresh local ingredients.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Sue PriceHope you get over to Campeche! And maybe on the way there stop in Santa Elena and stay at the Pickled Onion! Valerie Pickle is a lovely host and Uxmal is nearby - a really great ruin!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Janet Anspach-RickeyWow, what a good idea! We are knee deep in a remodel project and have actually had to turn down an offer to tour in Arizona in March and eastern Oregon in June! I'm so bummed but we are committed and will see this through. I will travel through you two so please do continue. I have to catch up on your island trek too!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Laurie MarczakWhen does this adventure actually begin?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanI can't think of a better reason for a bike trip than pursuing certain types of foods. Well, that and a winter of sun and warmth.

Have a great trip.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Andrea BrownYes, there is still a reason to travel, even when so many things are available everywhere around the world. One that bugged me a lot was making a big effort to go to Valrhona Chocolate in Tain l'Hermitage and to drag back pounds for all the family. After, we found it being sold at Trader Joe's!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bruce LellmanI think there was a Forum topic on themed tours, and we naturally thought of various food themes. A cheese tour is a good one, as is chocolate, or pastries, etc. etc. But in fact we will be happy to just pedal!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakThe adventure has already begun - for example today we adventurously figured out how to use our new Bike Friday ebike conversions. But if you mean when do we go out the door, it'll be Thursday after next. On that day we will pedal down the driveway and try to reach YVR somehow.

From now until next week there will still be daily entries, covering various fabulous topics!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Janet Anspach-RickeyRemodeling can be fun too!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt's not the main reason but food in SE Asia has certainly been one of the highlights of our trips, especially in Thailand and Vietnam. Great food definitely makes a trip on a bike more enjoyable.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bruce LellmanI was in Thailand in 1986, and still remember that great roadside food!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWe get alerts on our phones from the WeatherCAN app for all the locations we have saved. Then there’s the CBC News app. Escaping BC is a great idea!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierOoh, this is exciting! I’m hungry already! Bring on the Grammies!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomHi Steve
We are currently just south of Campeche heading towards Yucatan. We have no "real" route but after Campeche we want to visit some of the archeological sites as well as Celestun and Rio Lagartos. We only leave at the end of December. It would be cool to cross paths.
Regards
Jean-Marc
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jean-Marc StrydomHi Jean-Marc! We will be landing at Cancun and heading directly to the Merida area. We'll be in the general region (including Celestun and Puuc) from December 6-15. And how about this, we'll be in Celestun December 10. It's cheaper to share a tour boat. Could you make it then?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWe can also communicate by email: shadybrook at shaw dot ca
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezWe found only one place in Tucson serving Poc Chuc - Seis Kitchen. They have tacos as opposed to a plate of poc chuc. I expanded my search to Arizona, and not one other hit came up . . . how do you like that? We ride tomorrow, but it's on my list for our return!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesI think tacos Poc Chuc sounds pretty reasonable. But see, they do list it as from Yucatan. They also have Cochinita Pibil, another Yucatan specialty that is in fact Dodie's favourite. But the fact that these are Yucatan dishes makes it believable that they are hard to find in Tucson, which is 2500 miles away from Cancun by car. You should later publish your Seis review in your blog, or we can pop it in here!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago