Day 17: Celestun to almost Uxmal to hospital in Merida - Grampies' Poc Chuc Pursuit Winter 2021 - CycleBlaze

December 11, 2021

Day 17: Celestun to almost Uxmal to hospital in Merida

Wipeout!

We are sorry to report that Dodie had a catastrophic single bike - no  cars -  total wipeout. We got her to a topnotch hospital in Merida, 100 km from the accident scene, and our stuff is safely stashed in a nearby hotel. She has a broken arm, gashed head, many bruises. Doctor says eeg is ok, but she keeps asking where she is, so we'll watch that.

Tune in later for the gory details, and I mean gory.  But she is safe now in a air conditioned  modern hospital room with good staff.

Today's ride: 120 km (75 miles)
Total: 823 km (511 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 21
Ellen LeeOh no! Sorry to hear. I pray Dodie is ok and speedy recovery. She has concussion so watch carefully. Good luck!!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen ClassenOh no. What terrible news. We are thinking of both of you and holding you in our hearts.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Laura WankerOh no! That is not the way you want your travels to go. Sending wishes for quick and complete healing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonOh, no. That is such terrible news. Give our love and prayers to her, from both of us.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mike AylingWhat a way to end your tour..
Wishing Dodie a speedy recovery.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tricia GrahamI was feeling concerned when your blog didn’t get posted at the normal time and hoped it was because of the insane distance you were trying to cycle today. Some relief to hear that Dodie is in a good hospital and we certainly hope that she makes good and rapid progress. I recall the recent discussion we had about medical insurance and trust that you are well covered so she gets the very best possible care with no questions asked
Love
Ken and Tricia
Stay strong Steve
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Laurie MarczakAll relevant family members informed BEFORE blog posting! That’s a Grampies record ;)

Tell that mom we love her and we’re glad she’s all in one piece (okay two pieces, but I assume they’ve glued her arm back together?) - keep us posted on travel home plans please! Dad - let us know if you need any help making arrangements please.

Love and hugs from all here.
2.2
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Sandy EarleOh, I’m so sorry that Dodie has had such an awful accident! Hope she’s feeling better soon.
Maybe you can just enjoy the sunshine while you’re down there. The Pacific Northwest is nasty wet cold and rainy
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakTechnically Sabrina engineered the phone before posting procedure. But I did get the ball rolling by phoning Sabrina - so that's one point for the team!

They say the arm has to be immobile for 8 weeks, so it will glue itself, and they have her braced up for that. Dodie already pointed out that 8 weeks screws up the Spanish cycling plans! Actually, after 8 weeks immobility there will be a needed time of physio.

Tomorrow, if she walks out of here, we'll begin the tricky business of returning ourselves, bikes, and gear to Cancun, rescheduling flights, covid testing, and such. We can not fly Merida to Cancun or Merida to Vancouver because we need to prepare the exploding bikes for air travel with materials stored in Cancun .
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinHi,
Oh wow. May the healing be quick, and the damage be minimal. I’m just lost for words. Hang tough, Steve. Dodie’s a seasoned fighter, but she needs all the help she can get in her corner. Don’t worry about Cycleblaze, keep your family posted and focus on getting home for now. We can wait for better times.
Love to Dodie,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltWow! Terrible news! Hope things all work out well. I was wondering why no daily report.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Leslie and Rob CookeOh no! Such terrible news. Wishing for a speedy recovery and an easy journey home.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWe are so sorry to hear about Dodie's accident. May the healing be swift and uncomplicated. AS are so many, we are online acquaintances only, but we feel that we know you both. You have provided us with many hours of entertainment and education with your sharing of your lives and travels. Our very best warm wishes for uneventful recovery to Dodie.
Jeanna and Kerry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Barry BartlettSteve and Dodie
We are so upset for you both. It was painful to see the images of Dodie.
A scary time for you both.
Please share our best wishes and support with Dodie as you and she navigate her recovery and figure out how best to get home.
We understand the challenges you face in getting yourselves and your bikes home when such a traumatic accident occurs.
Stay strong Steve….sending you and Dodie a virtual hug from the rainy Pacific Northwest. Mary Ellen and Barry
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownOh, I'm just now seeing this, and I haven't read the following posts yet. But I wonder if you can contact any Warmshowers hosts in the area to help you with transport/accommodation. There is also a Facebook page for bicycle tourists if you want any of us to post on that.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Barry BartlettHi Mary Ellen and Barry. It"s good to know you are out there,
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Barry BartlettOh yes Steve. We haven’t been anywhere outside of our BC environs. We have done a ride to Prince George (partial riding due to a breakdown), a number of rides up Vancouver Is and then daily rides on our Island and to the big island on our new Azub trikes…over 4500 km in the first year. We love them. We drive our car rarely now. Riding our e-trikes is like being a kid again on a go kart, but so much better. Kudos as always to Max and Fairfield Bikes.
Good news to hear that Dodie is now out of the hospital and with you. Please pass on our good wishes to her. I wish we could help you in some way.
We understand the pain and stress of seeing your partner, in all things, in jeopardy and hurting. Bon courage to you both.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetI’m catching up on blogs today and now I’m in shock! I hope Dodie is now on the road to recovery.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Barry BartlettAh, so you know Max? What a great guy!

We have been on your island not so long ago, should have come to bug you!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Douglas LotenI’m way behind on catching up on your trip! So sorry to hear of Dodie’s accident!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesOne advantage of reading stories as history is that you can skip to the end and see how it turned out. I wish I could do that right now with Ukraine!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago