In Cuneo: hiking in a chestnut forest - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

October 18, 2021

In Cuneo: hiking in a chestnut forest

The day begins with Team Anderson rehearsing a new skit for their comedy show.  The setup begins with them carrying their bicycles down 55 stairs to the street below.  Once outside they’re preparing to bike off when Rachael realizes she’s forgotten her helmet and goes back upstairs to get it while Scott stands guard on the sidewalk watching over the bikes.

Five minutes later Scott is still waiting and starting to wonder, when the phone rings.  It’s Rachael, sounding quite distressed.  It takes a minute to decipher the situation to understand what’s happened, but when she came back downstairs she exited the building through the back door by mistake.  The door locked behind her, and her keys don’t open it.  She’s trapped inside of a courtyard, with a locked door behind her and a locked gate ahead.  I could go in and open the door to let her escape, if I could get into the apartment.  I don’t have a key though, and am locked out myself.  We have two sets of keys but we only brought one with us this morning.

She can see through the gate to the street though.  She’s just around the corner, so I wheel the two bikes around it to her gate so we can see each other and figure out what to do.  I point out all of the spots that look like they might be panic buttons that will open the gate, but none of them work.  We look at the tall gate, assessing whether it’s at all reasonable for her to scale it; but it isn’t.  

We’re resigned to the embarrassing last resort of calling our host and asking her to rescue us, when I have an insight that comes on with such suddenness and clarity that I laugh out loud.  I can see Rachael.  She has a key.  She could just hand me the key through the gate, and guard the bikes while I go back into the apartment and open the door to free her.  Brilliant!

Let me out, let me out, she wails. I’d rescue my love, if only I had a key. Oh, wait.
Heart 7 Comment 12
Suzanne GibsonWhat a story! I was relieved to hear that you hadn't fallen down the stairs with the bike, though!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Susan CarpenterKey Crisis seems to be an ongoing theme over the last few weeks!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettPoor Rachel! This sounds a lot like the morning when I got locked into the bathhouse at the RV park in Springville. 5 am and pitch black out with no one around anywhere! Luckily someone eventually came by and let me out. The doors weren't working correctly.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnThis story would make an excellent short film!

Imagine dramatic music and lighting. And a few slo-mo shots ..

Too bad the Singing Cycling Cowboy isn't there to help stage & film the reenactment.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanThis is such an entertaining journal!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Andrea BrownThis is truly my favorite one yet. And it's not like I can't relate, I totally can.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonNo, I haven’t fallen down the stairs since wrecking. Y knee back in Trento ten years ago. I’m specializing in falling off my bike now.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Susan CarpenterIt is nice to have a theme. It’s so much easier to follow the plot line.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnIt would have been nice to have a cinematographer along, for sure. There were some nuances that missed the final cut that would have worked well in an AV presentation. And yodeling in the background would be perfect!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanNice to hear! We aim to amuse. That’s the whole point in being a comedy duo. It’s so embarrassed to go on stage and just hear silent rustling.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownPerhaps mine as well. I won’t be surprised if we look back on today as one of the most memorable of the journey.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo marilyn swettI remember that day in Springdale well. In fact, I read it aloud to Rachael. Easy for her to appreciate, because of the time I locked her into an outhouse in France and had to free her by cutting the lock out of the door with my Swiss Army knife.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

So finally, we’re off.  We’re taking a hike today, but it’s a bike and hike and bike scenario.  The trailhead is nine and a half miles south of town, so we’re going to bike there, lock up the bikes, take our hike, and then bike back.  There’s a train stop by the trailhead also so we could take the train, but it’s an easy enough bike ride so that it doesn’t seem worth the bother of constraining ourselves to the train schedule.

Cuneo is a reasonably bike friendly town, but this is exceptional. This is Viale degli Angeli (Avenue of the Angels), a scenic boulevard along the bluff above the Torrente Gesso. A two kilometer stretch of it is closed to motor vehicles on weekends and after 9 AM during the week, leaving it as a mile long car-free promenade.
Heart 7 Comment 0
RideWithGPS lied to us again. This is not paved. Nice views though, and I’m sure much better than the alternative here.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Ron SuchanekI love RWGPS, but have you tried Komoot? It's more geared towards Europe does have good data on road surfaces, etc.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekI have tried Kormoot, but Ridewithgps serves well enough and I’ve got it down. You keep forgetting I’m almost 75, too old to learn anything new.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In spite of how the day has gone so far, we’re feeling lucky this morning and trust that our thin cable lock will keep our bikes safe until we return in four hours.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It’s a much more interesting hike than we had imagined.  It’s an out and back, a scenario where Rachael can hike on ahead while I dawdle and then we’ll walk back to the bikes together.  I’ve mapped out a route that turns back after just shy of five miles.  We time box ourselves though to make sure we get back to the bikes before too late in the day, and agree that Rachael will turn back at 2:00.

It’s a charming hike at first, through a chestnut forest.  Fallen chestnuts are everywhere, clogging the hiking path in spots; and chestnuts are still falling - we hear them regularly as we walk, and consider going back to get our helmets but decide against us because we feel lucky.  Rachael goes on ahead while I take my time, enamored by the look and feel of the forest.

After awhile I find Rachael waiting on the trail for me.  The path crosses right beside someone’s home, and she’s unsure if we really have right of passage.  We stare at the Garmins, look for signs, and conclude that it must be OK.  As we walk by the house a woman looks up from her garden. We call out buon giorno, and she smiles and responds in kind.  So it really is OK. 

Near the start of the hike we come to the major bridge crossing of the day. You won’t find it in your guidebooks though, I don’t think - you’re seeing about half of it here. Well maintained, with no gaps between the planks. Guard rails would be nice though.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Ron SuchanekLittle known fact: This infamous and treacherous bridge, known as Ponte Della Dello Smembramento, was built by the Moops between 23bc and 1947 at 3:14pm. Various names for the bridge were used over the years; Over Troubled Water, To Nowhere, The Gap, Too Far, The Steel, Club, etc. But the one that stuck is the one that reflects its true character; The Bridge of Death and Dismemberment. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Ron SuchanekI’m sure we made it over the bridge twice with all our limbs! To think I was only worried about getting whacked by a chestnuts.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
We’re hiking in a chestnut forest! A new experience, one I’m very excited about at first. They look so inviting when you bike past, with their open understory - like beech forests.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Rachael gets ahead of me again, and then twenty minutes later I get a phone call from her.  She’s been following the signs, and then noticed that she’s no longer following our Garmin track.  There’s some discussion about this, and in the end she decides to return to our track and follow that.  A few more phone calls take place to touch base over the next half hour.  It’s slow going, but will be faster on the way down because we’ll know the way and can just follow our track back.  I suggest that she go on until 2:15 before turning back, and she agrees.

She turns back before then though, when the trail starts seeming too precarious and uncertain.  We stop by the trail for lunch, and then start walking back.  By now the charm of walking through a chestnut forest has worn thin - we’re both tired of finding our footing on a surface of spiny nerf balls and picking spines out of our socks.  

And the walk back is slower, not faster, because we keep coming to baffling spots on the trail where it takes us five minutes to figure out which of the five faint trails radiating from a junction is the one we want.  We start out on one, staring at our Garmins to confirm our choice as we walk, and then realize we’re veering off and double back to look for another way.  Stressful and frustrating, and we’re starting to get anxious about the time of the day as the woods start feeling worryingly dark.

For much of the way the trail is littered with fallen chestnuts. It gives us pause though - should we be wearing our helmets?
Heart 3 Comment 0
The trail is reasonably well marked, with orange swatches and arrows painted on the trunks of the chestnuts to guide you. If you’re paying attention, you should be fine.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There are spots where more signage would definitely help though, especially at junctions where five or six trails radiate from about the same point. Here’s a snippet from our uploaded track, from one of the spots where we spent about five minutes walking off in different directions, staring at our Garmin to see if we were following our track or not.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Jen RahnIf Jackson Pollock designed a hike, this is what it would look like.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnInsightful! I really like that.

I don’t know if you noticed that the colors indicate velocity, or lack thereof. There was a lot of sow down, stop, change direction, pick up the pace going in here. Sort of like a drunkard’s fox trot: quick, quick slow; quick, quick, slow.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnMore entertaining in restrospect, I'm sure!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
It’s steep terrain, and not particularly easy walking. Here was one particularly precarious spot - maybe thirty degrees, slick and gravelly.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fortunately I found a serviceable walking stick early on in the hike.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here’s a chestnut tree, one of thousands around us. They’re by far the dominant tree in the forest.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chestnut forests are really colorful at this time of year, and a delightful place to hike - until they aren’t.
Heart 3 Comment 0
One problem is that in spots there are so many fallen chestnuts that they completely blanket the trail. They make a somewhat slippery walking surface, like stepping on spiny nerfballs.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Walking through a chestnut avalanche is interesting, especially on a steep or rocky slope.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Another problem is that the spines somehow work their way to the inside of your shoes and socks and jab you like little needles. It gets old and annoying after about the fifth or sixth time you stop to take your shoes off and try to find and remove them.
Heart 2 Comment 4
Bob DistelbergThis brings back some memories. We had two chestnut trees in our back yard when I was growing up. I remember the ground being covered with those spiky shells every fall. Kind of a problem when you wanted to rake up a pile of leaves to jump in.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanWell this just sounds like a lovely hike. Trail of Tears.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanNot your humdrum walk in the woods, definitely. One to remember.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bob DistelbergHey, I did that too, back in West Virginia! we had two black walnuts in our back yard, and a low berm to jump into the leaves from. husks hard as rocks, and a black stain that won’t go away. Great fun.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mostly though, it really is beautiful. As long as you don’t get bonked on your bald, uncovered skull by a spiny husk dropping from a hundred feet up. Which didn’t happen today, thankfully. It could though - we constantly hear them falling to the ground, bouncing off branches on their way down and then softly rolling down the slope until they come to rest somewhere.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Jen RahnGreat shot! It's hard to imagine the potential for peril and mayhem with those gentle rays of sun softening the landscape.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Chestnuts are the main attraction, but not the only thing worth noting. There’s the occasional fungus among us.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jen RahnYou should submit this photo to the Altra marketing department.

Maybe they'd offer you a sponsorship .. free shoes for the next 5 years!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnGood idea! The matching socks make it a sure fire winner.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Until I got sick of tramping through chestnut hulls I thought I’d found my favorite type of forest, even better than a beech one. And then, suddenly we’re out of the chestnuts and into a real beech forest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And there are spectacular views from the rare clearings. I’m sure they’re wonderful if you get higher up, but mostly we’re surrounded by forests. Here I think we’re looking south up the pass to the coast, toward Menton and Ventimiglia.
Heart 4 Comment 0
One interesting feature of this walk is the structures you occasionally pass along the way, rustic remnants of former villages.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the way out we passed through one of the lower villages, still occupied, and found these two gents chatting across the trail, warmed by the fire in the open hearth to the side.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Jen RahnLove this! Especially how comfortable the guy on the right looks on something that is clearly not designed for relaxed seating.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnYes, I liked that too - just sitting on the rim.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We make it out finally though, and right about on schedule.  I hear the church bells in the village chiming four just as I’m rounding the last bend, a few minutes behind Rachael who’s already at the bikes and putting her cycling shoes on.  It’s difficult walking, and a very good thing I’d found a walking stick to help me down.  Otherwise I’d have gone down a slope or two on my butt and we might have still been in the woods when it got too dark to find our way.

By the time we make it back to the bikes, we’re both pretty well exhausted.  Four hours and five miles doesn’t sound like much of a hike, but it was plenty.  It’s a good thing that it’s nearly all downhill biking back to town.

Biking home, I have my second brilliant insight of the day while thinking about how little I want to carry my bike up 55 steps when we get back to the apartment.  We can lock our bikes up in that courtyard Rachael trapped herself inside of this morning!  It almost makes that whole fiasco worth it.

Last full moon of the tour!
Heart 6 Comment 2
Graham FinchThis compensates for the pic you didn't get in Vermont!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchYup. Glad you noticed it. I was thinking of you at the time.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 19 miles, 700’; for the tour: 2,200 miles, 79,400‘

Hiking stats: 5.5 miles, 1,700’

Today's ride: 19 miles (31 km)
Total: 2,200 miles (3,541 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jen RahnGreat ending to the story .. a tale of anxiety leads to a soft landing spot for the Bike Fridays and a welcome unburdened trip back up the stairs!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnUnfortunately there was a postscript I omitted. When we got back there was a note on the bikes asking us to please use the bike rack. There’s no room in the bike rack though, so we carted them upstairs again at the end of the day. We did save one round trip at least!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnWell dagnabit! I suppose one saved round trip is better than none!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago