In Cuneo: the northeast loop - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2021

In Cuneo: the northeast loop

Another day, another random ramble through the backroads east of town.  A wonderful ride.

She looks so happy to be out on her bike, doesn’t she! A much nicer start to the day than finding yourself trapped behind bars.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We’ve passed a few fields of pole beans like this one. Maybe that’s what those pyramids of sticks were for we saw a few days ago. Pretty inefficient though - how are you supposed to harvest this crop with a big gas guzzling vehicle?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pomegranates, she calls out! mistake. Immediately she realizes her mistake, but it’s too late. The words have been heard already, and now she has to wait while I pull up and stop for a few photos.
Heart 5 Comment 2
marilyn swettWe've spotted pomegranate trees in St George and here in Hurricane. It looked like the fruit was just being left for the birds. Unless it wasn't ripe yet?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierYou would think she’d be more circumspect after all these years.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Hmm. We’re backtracking the last ten miles of Monday’s ride this morning. Was this part of the package then? We can’t remember.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There’s a small, steep-walled depression between Beinette and Pienfei where you drop to the Pesio River - switchback down one side and switchback back up the other two miles later.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing the Pesio River, on that questionable bridge we crossed going the other way two days ago. A better look at the planks this time, for those structural engineers out there to ponder.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetI didn't see that gap in your previous photo. That definitely wouldn't have been in the specifications!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Looking up at Pianfei before the climb up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another instance of being in the right place at the right time. Blangetti has their spaventapasseri (scarecrows) out for Halloween. They just went up a few days ago and will be around until November 7th, per the village Facebook page.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Spaventapasseri in Blangetti. There are about forty of them, each numbered and with an informational placard.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Two spaventapasseri! Rachael has found herself a new selfie buddy.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Andrea BrownBirds of a feather....
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jen RahnGreat photo for getting those smile muscles going this morning!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
A man and his sheep. There are a few dogs helping keep things tidy as well, hiding in the back somewhere.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We were delighted by the procession of spaventapasseri but I think I was charmed even more by Rocca di Baldi, the medieval village where we stopped for lunch. This is the castle, a 13th century fortification that was later converted to an elegant residential estate.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Rocca di Baldi. At first I was irked when this car drove up just as I was about to take a photo of the empty piazza, but they make a nice addition. It looks like they’ve arrived to have lunch with grandma, whom they’re waving to in her window above the square.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The condition of the village is uneven, but restoration work is underway.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Rocca di Baldi.
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Rocca di Baldi.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Rocca di Baldi.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Rocca di Baldi.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Rocca di Baldi.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It seems some of you need a primer on advanced hand signal technique. Here’s the behind the back left turn indicator. The right turn works exactly the same way, but using the other arm of course.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Gregory GarceauAfter riding for an extended period of time, I often put my arm in that position to relieve the pressure on my shoulder joint. Thanks to this little lesson, I won't be doing that anymore. Just think of how many motorists thought I was about to make a left turn and then got pissed off when I didn't.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bruce LellmanThis is so advanced it's beyond me.

Also, you're Canadian, eh?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rich FrasierJust when I thought I had signaling figured out…
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
And in case you were too distracted by the matching cycling Jersey from Nanaimo and parka from Columbia Sportswear to notice the beautiful chapel, here’s an uncluttered look at Capella di San Giorgio at Carleveri.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another row of yellowing walnuts lines the road on our way back to town. A poser for Keith: black, or English?
Heart 1 Comment 3
Keith KleinHi,
I’m sticking with “English”. Looks just like the walnuts we find here along the road. But the proof is in the tasting. Pick up a few that have shed their husks (the husks will turn your hands black) crack them open and taste. Our local wild ones can be cracked open bare handed, by the by.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith KleinI think I agree, but I wish I’d taken a photo of the bark also. I found a good identification guide, and black walnuts leaves have narrower and more serrated leaves as well as a more deeply ridged bark. I want inclined to try to crack one open and pop it in my mouth, but that would be another test. We had black walnut trees in our back yard as a child and I had to crack them open with a hammer and shell them. Hard as rocks.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltI gather black walnuts most autumns here in Dayton, OH. I also kick thousands off the local bike trails as I ride.

Definitely "English" (actually Persian).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_regia

I like both, but black walnuts have a special flavor... on the other hand, they are really difficult to process. First the outer staining hull needs to be stomped off, then taken home (I toss 2 plastic 5 gallon buckets over my rear rack to carry them) and rinsed, then allowed to dry, (but in a place squirrels cannot access!) and after a few weeks they are ready to crack. Messy. If you use a hammer, hard, sharp pieces fly everywhere. If you use a bench vise and wire cutters, they do as well, but not so much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_nigra
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Video sound track: Autumn Serenade, by John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman.

In the aptly named Trattoria dei Colori, which is colorful everywhere you look. This is the place we ate our first night here, when we were lucky to get squeezed in on a Saturday night in the middle of the chestnut festival. No problem tonight. A great place, we may come back a third time before leaving Cuneo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 42 miles, 1,400’; for the tour: 2,242 miles, 80,600‘

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 2,242 miles (3,608 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonCuneo looks tempting - and its weather forecast for next week does, too!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonI really like what we’ve seen of it so far. And it does look good for the rest of the month, at this point. Could change quickly though, of course. It looks like something is changing about the first of the month, here as well as further south.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago