What's your favorite journal? (that you've read) (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

What's your favorite journal? (that you've read) (page 2)

Keith AdamsTo Mark Bingham

I don't know that I have a specific favorite journal, per se, but I have preferred journal writers.

• Leo Woodland: as a retired professional journalist he uses language carefully and compactly.  His writing is consistently infused with wit, dry subtle humor, and gentle irony.
  • Scott Anderson: Scott writes flowing, readable narratives.  I particularly enjoyed his 2022 trilogy of journals covering the nine months he and Rachael spent riding in Spain, France, England, and Wales.  His photographic skills are first-rate, and the photos he includes add considerable depth to the storytelling.

Come to think of it I do have a couple specific journals that have stayed with me over the years.

• Over on that other site: A Long Ride Home by Peter Gostelow kept me riveted for the nearly three years he was on the road.  Excellent writing and photos of an epic journey.
  • Another journal from the same site: A Pennyfarthing World Tour (My Third Attempt) by Joff Summerfield.  Around the world on a high-wheeler.  Joff's one of those slightly goofy characters who seems to have the knack for making friends and enjoying life wherever he happens to be at a given moment.  That shines through in his writing.
Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mark BinghamTo Keith Adams

I took a quick peek at a couple of them....  rabbit holes, just the kind I like. Thanks Keith!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Keith Adams

Peter Gostelow is still riding and posts on Instagram and Facebook. His photography is still topnotch. Worth following. He is now starting out in Turkey where he left off a couple of months ago.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo Jeff Lee

I read Joy's journal as it happened and loved it. Pepsi, the drink of champions!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
John PickettTo Jeff Lee

I read Joy's journal as it happened and loved it. Pepsi, the drink of champions!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Rich FrasierTo Mark Bingham

Hands down, for me, John Fleckner's journals on that other site are my favorites.

His journal "A Summer Well Spent" was the first journal that made me feel like bike touring was something Robin and I could really do.  And his "France in the Fall" convinced me.  He and Mrs Claus are really our primary inspirations for cycle touring.  

I don't know what it is about John's writing, but it just makes the experience so "accessible" somehow.  I love the way he describes the days and the meals at the end of each one.  There's a positivity and wonder that comes through his writing somehow.  It just works for me.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mark BinghamTo Rich Frasier

I was hoping I'd hear from you, and will absolutely read every word of his journal based on your recommendation. Thanks, Rich!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Leo WoodlandTo Graham Smith

Graham, you are clearly a sage and man of impeccable taste! Thank you.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Graham SmithTo Leo Woodland

Léo many people have said that;  though I couldn’t possibly agree with them until you confirmed it.
You are very welcome. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Henry BrookTo Mark Bingham

My favourite  Journal is Moleskine Travel Journal. This journal has a sturdy cover and plenty of space for recording your adventures, including pre-trip planning, daily notes, and post-trip reflections. It also includes useful features like a world map, travel planning checklist, and budgeting tools.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago