What's your favorite journal? (that you've read) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

What's your favorite journal? (that you've read)

Mark Bingham

Unlike the other post, what's the best journal you've read by another author? Again, give it some thought, because I plan on plowing through ALL of them. 

In responding, I understand that we all have different tastes, none of which is "better" or "worse" than anyone else's. Some people like straight up factual journals, some like to learn about interesting locations and where to eat or visit, others read them for road conditions, and some for the entertainment/storytelling value. When you respond, I'd appreciate it if you let me know why you like it the best.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Mark Bingham

Mark, that's like asking which is my favourite child!

It reminds me of the book I've read and finished that I liked least--Sophie's Choice.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mark BinghamTo Jacquie Gaudet

It's true! It IS like asking that! (and I realized it when I asked)  Perhaps you could qualify your response with "although all of the journals I've read are exceptional...." :-).  It would be an accurate statement.   

Or, if you prefer, you could just share with us which of your children you love the most.  ;-)

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Mark Bingham

Well, I enjoy all of Scott Anderson's journals, but I think that might be a pretty big club.  There are plenty of writers on CycleBlaze that I enjoy reading, either as items are posted and/or as research for a possible trip.  I especially like journals by fellow Canadians because I can usually relate to their world views.

I like journals that have a decent amount of narrative, illustrative photos with captions, and maps, preferably by authors who don't take themselves too seriously.  I like to have enough information to decide whether or not I'd like to do a similar tour...

My favourite really long reads include Round the World Attempt by William Bennett, which I read on the other site and which is no longer there but which is now available as a book or ebook titled At the Whim of the Open Road, I believe .  I also enjoyed following along on Chris Pountney's The Really Long Way Round, which he is slowly reposting here on CycleBlaze.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mark BinghamTo Jacquie Gaudet

I just purchased At the Whim of the Open Road and look forward to reading it, and will continue Chris Pountney's journal. Thanks!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jeff LeeTo Mark Bingham

I won't say anything about what is obviously my favorite tour journal, since I've recommended it on CycleBlaze before.

From that same era, a few other journals stand out:

1. Mike Riscica Coast 2 Coast: This is one of the very first journals I read after I heard about bike touring. It used to be on CrazyGuyOnABike, before Mike apparently had some sort of drama with the CGoaB owner, and moved it to his own website. At the time I though Mike's misadventures on the TransAm were hilarious. I just re-read a few  pages, and I still laughed out loud.

2. TransAm Blues: In tone, this one is probably the opposite of Mike Riscica's journal. I found it alternately infuriating and compelling. I can't say it's the "best" or "favorite" journal I've read, but it's got a special quality.

Jeff

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mark BinghamTo Jeff Lee

They both sound very intriguing! Thanks! (and I've been working my way through Joy's journal as I've had time)

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Graham SmithTo Mark Bingham

Mark as others have said, that’s a Sophie’s Choice question. Nevertheless I’ll attempt a choice.

My current favourite is Vince’s journal https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/fun/

mostly because I know Vince, and met with him for coffee before he headed off on the tour (s) and so can relate more closely to the context of the tour and the journal. 

My favourite cycle tour journalist is the incomparable Léo Woodland,  because his consistently high, professional standard of writing is exemplary to me. I aspire to be as economic with words and wit as he is.

More importantly, Léo rides a Thorn touring bike similar to mine, so he must have impeccable taste in cycle touring equipment.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Mark BinghamTo Graham Smith

I haven't come across Vince's journal before, but what's not to like about a "happy ride?" Also, Holy Cow! It's massive, so I'll be able to enjoy it for a while. Thanks for the suggestion! I've read, and enjoyed, several of Léo's journals. You're absolutely right about the consistently high quality - he is incomparable.

As an aside, I'm considering retiring my bike of 26 years and the Thorn is on my short list of potential bikes (it's a short list of two). Perhaps I could talk with you privately about it sometime.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Graham SmithTo Mark Bingham

Mark I can rabbit on about touring bikes … especially Thorn… for ages. More than happy to try to answer any questions you have.

66.6% of the cycle tourers on our Trans-Oz tour were riding Thorn bikes. Both of us found the bikes to be than adequate. So did the other rider who was not on a Thorn.

There’s an active Thorn Forum which might be a useful source of information as well. http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago