Up, Up and Away - Know When to Fold Them - CycleBlaze

November 15, 2023

Up, Up and Away

Little Wheels Take On Big Hills

It was a slightly nervy 7am start this morning This is the first time I’ve fully loaded my KHS 20” folding bike. And no low, balanced panniers! Most of the load is in two Carradice bags tied on fore and aft. Not ideal, but the best I could do in the circumstances.

90 km and 800 metres of ascent/descent took 9 hours from Richmond Nelson to the hamlet of Havelock convinced me the bike set up is ok. Care is needed with a heavy load high on the front, but the steering is not too alarming. I stopped a few times to add extra straps and ties to the handlebar bag to improve stability. 

Today included many photo stops, several rests at country stores, waits at roadworks and precautionary pauses to allow trucks to go by on the winding mountain road. And I finished the day with many more potentially kilometres in the tank. I felt as if I could have pushed on to Picton, but why rush? Better to take time to soak up the pleasant atmosphere of Havelock.

The weather was almost perfect, especially in the morning. Idyllic temperatures, no wind, blue skies and that beautiful NZ spring-cool humidity which feels incredibly gentle after the desiccating dryness of home.

New Zealand rural scenery is also a contrast to home. The bright greens, the high, sharp mountains, the fast flowing, clear water streams and crisp, clear, dust and smoke free air. 

The day in pics: 

Wayfinding here is easy even for navigational numpties like me. The first 20km was on traffic free paths!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A bonus was discovering this Japanese garden in Nelson.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Flower of the day
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Taiwanese KHS folder meditating on Japanese garden sculptures.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nelson Bay. Splendid.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hira Store stop. New Zealand ice cream is the best in the world. Especially when eaten while cycle touring in NZ
Heart 5 Comment 0
Does this look steep? It is. The Whangamoas are big hills. They separate Nelson / Tasman from Marlborough. Also note the logging truck. I take time to stop and get off the road to give these juggernauts room to move. Safety First.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the other side of the range is this.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I’m still wondering. Any suggestions welcome.
Heart 4 Comment 2
George HallWhat we in the U.S. call a "horse whisperer" maybe?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo George HallGeorge or someone who has a very big counselling couch.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Rural aesthetics. Not too shabby.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The only cycle tourer I met today. Young guy from Tokyo. In NZ on a working visa. He started his ride in Auckland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My guess is that this means it’s time for the afternoon milking. Well done cows. More delicious, fresh ice-cream ingredient on the way.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rich FrasierOr maybe they're waiting to meet the psychologist?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo Rich FrasierRich I did wonder if they were queued up for a counselling session. :)
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Pelorus Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost there
Heart 0 Comment 0
Accommodation sorted. NZ$60 for a very comfortable room. The tent won’t be unpacked tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Havelock’s main vehicle fleet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pub Grub. Fresh, green lipped mussels. Well worth cycling 90km over a mountain range.
Heart 7 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 90 km (56 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 0