The Bike & Gear List - Know When to Fold Them - CycleBlaze

The Bike & Gear List

Electronic stuff: 10ma power pack; EPIRB; mini Garmin inreach; adapters; leads; Garmin watch; headlight; spare AAA batteries; old iPhone with local SIM
Heart 0 Comment 2
Vince McCarthyHi Graham, why did you have an EPIRB when the inreach has the same function? Thanks Vince
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Graham SmithTo Vince McCarthyGood question Vince.
I didn’t really need the EPIRB, but I did use the Garmin communicator a couple of times to message my wife updates when there was no phone signal.

I got into the habit of having a back up emergency signal when I was taking groups into remote areas in my previous job. We’d have a SPOT, EPIRB and Sat. phone on the assumption that something wouldn’t work as planned.

Also the EPIRB and Garmin mini are both extremely small and lightweight. They don’t add much to the load.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Electronics fit in a water resistant Osprey packing cell which slides into the Salsa water proof frame bag. Easily accessible.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The bike is KHS F-20 steel framed 20” wheeled folding bike. 52-42-30 chain rings.
26 on the lowest gear on the cassette. Made in Taiwan. Reynolds tubing. 

I fitted SPD touring pedals and a Brooks saddle.

I bought it 2nd hand from a friend for $500 a few years ago. I toured around Taiwan on it about five years ago. Otherwise it hasn’t been ridden much.

I’ve fitted large Carradice bags fore and aft. No racks. Simply attached to the saddle and handlebars. The front bag needed cable ties to supplement the attachment straps to hold it closer to the bars to reduce sway.

There are four other smaller bags: Two Restrap ‘feed’ bags. A Salsa fork bag and cage on the monotube; and a Restrap top tube bag attached to the seat stem. 

I also need a dry bag packing cell  (to hold food) attached to the top of the handlebar bag with two Voile straps.  

Two collapsible water bottles attached by carabiners. One bottle in a feed bag. Two water (Platypus) bladders if needed. Only used when camping. Not to carry water on the bike.

Two mirrors. Two rear flasher lights.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Michael HutchingWe had an 80 year old Montanan called Ethel stay with us a pre Covid when we were Warmshowers hosting. She configured her small bike in pretty much the same way and made it to Wellington eventually. Well done.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo Michael HutchingMichael the KHS did well, but it was at its limit for load carrying capacity. If I were to use it like this again I’d try to have a rack and panniers on the rear, and less weight lower at the front.

Also small wheels quickly overheat on long descents with frequent braking. Braking generally was very poor. Great care needed on descents. I’m going to see if I can fit better brakes.

Otherwise the little bike performed exceedingly well. Being able to bag it quickly for the bus trip back to Nelson was incredibly useful.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sleeping bag; sleeping mat; inflatable pillow; 1 person tent & poles; Optimus gas stove & pot; Aeropress coffee maker; toiletries & first aid; fire starter; mess kit with collapsible bowl, cup, fork & spoon; Swiss Army knife; down jacket; raincoat; on & off bike clothes; helmet; sunglasses; head sock; electronic stuff inc headlight, phone, EPIRB, Garmin in-reach mini; leads; adapters; power pack; notepad & pen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 6
George HallSeems as though you had a good adventure, I enjoyed following along. Thanks for the journal and for whetting my appetite to maybe someday tour in New Zealand.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo George HallThanks George. New Zealand is a wonderful country. Well worth a visit. I’m a bit biased of course.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Joel KrewazThank you Graham (Cycle Tour Leader Extraordinaire). The planning, the doing and the support made for a superb adventure. The Ohakune to Hawke's Bay (Gentle Annie) ride was challenging and exciting. Napier on, picturesque. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo Joel KrewazJoel now you’ve mentioned it, there’s an idea brewing for an autumn tour in Oz. Possibly starting 2 April. Heading north to a state capital.
Nothing epic. Flat, smooth roads all the way. Tailwinds. No rain. Excellent restaurants every 50km. Low cost 5-star accommodation in every hamlet.

Some of that’s true.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Vince McCarthyThanks for another interesting blog mate. See you in Canberra. Vince
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Graham SmithTo Vince McCarthyThanks Vince. Hopefully bump into you at the shops soon.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago