Scenery Overload - Know When to Fold Them - CycleBlaze

November 16, 2023

Scenery Overload

Havelock to Wellington

 Some days cycle touring can present pleasant surprise after pleasant surprise. Today was one of those wonderful days. It was awash with serendipity. 

The day began with 7:30 am start pedalling uphill out of Havelock. Within a kilometre I was presented a choice of two ways to Picton. The flattish, longer main road way, or the shorter, hillier, scenic backroad way.

I chose the scenic, hilly route with a very regal name. Queen Charlotte Drive.  Whoever Queen Charlotte was, she should be delighted to be associated with a riding route with truly outstanding views. Dozens of them. Around every corner there was yet another landscape view which deserved minutes of contemplation and dozens of photos. I didn’t do the contemplation thing, but I did take lots of pics. 

After about 4 hours of moderately easy pedalling, (except for two substantial hills) I could see a ferry arriving at Port Picton.  What were the chances of catching a ferry to the North Island today instead of tomorrow?  
The answer is that I’m now in Wellington YHA.

The most difficult thing I’ll do today is select my favourite scenery photos to upload.

Havelock evening view from my pub accommodation
Heart 4 Comment 0
Quiet Havelock. Not even the mussels were out ‘n about.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Havelock twilight
Heart 1 Comment 0
Good advice. And there were a few.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Michael HutchingThose trucks! I admire your courage Graham- we’ve cycled a few open roads in NZ but tried to avoid quarries and forestry. Which is impossible of course. Well done on those hills.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo Michael HutchingMichael the truck traffic wasn’t too worrisome. The weather was excellent and visibility was good. There are a few places on the Whangamoas were I chose to get off, just in case there was. a truck around the curve. But mostly it was a pleasant ride, albeit quite a climb.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
The hill climbs were worth the views.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Sounds
Heart 7 Comment 0
A short walk to a lookout gave this surprise view of alpine peaks. My guess is it’s Nelson Lakes National Park.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Impressive deposit of driftwood
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not so scenic. Hillside being bared by forestry operations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ride route from Havelock to Picton
Heart 0 Comment 0
How to recycle a stump
Heart 4 Comment 0
The locals take pride in their mailboxes
Heart 3 Comment 0
Someone’s favourite meditation spot
Heart 3 Comment 0
Reflective mid morning view
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tree fern with fresh fronds
Heart 4 Comment 0
There were quite a few sections of road like this.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesNot the greatest spot to meet an oncoming vehicle.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo Steve Miller/GrampiesSteve NZ back roads often reduce to single lane. Either because of washout damage such as this, or single lane bridges. Road building and maintenance in such a hilly, high rainfall country is a constant challenge.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Sea kayaking is another popular way to explore the Marlborough Sounds
Heart 1 Comment 0
Green bushland and blue waters
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bayside
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dutch sisters heading toward Havelock. Their first day of touring. They arrived from Europe in Auckland and had used trains and the ferry to reach the South Island.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Plantation grown pine logs being loaded for export. Near Picton.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tui feeding on flax flowers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yay! Lucky timing. That’s the inbound Blue Ridge ferry. In a couple of hours it will head back to Wellington.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Quite a few other cycle tourers rolled into the ferry terminal. I had good company onboard. I re-met a Japanese cycle tourist from Tokyo who I saw at Hira yesterday. And met a Swiss French rider who was about to conclude a long ride, sell his bike and return home.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On board and heading across Cook Strait
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ready to disembark
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 131 km (81 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Robyn RichardsLovely pics, Graham. We live in Picton and drive and cycle the Queen Charlotte Drive route a bit. As you would've seen, two massive weather events in the past two years have taken their toll on the road. Looking forward to following your journey north.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Graham SmithTo Robyn RichardsThanks Robyn. Picton is one of my favourite towns. The view from its waterfront is outstanding.
Yes I noticed the widespread damage from February’s cyclone in the Hawke’s Bay region, and heard some stories about sheer volume of water.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago