Arrived in Beaune - Burgundy Buzz - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2022

Arrived in Beaune

The big day is here, the long anticipated CycleBlaze meet-up. But first things first. We had some kilometers to cover before we could meet. We got  a fairly early start from Hotel Schwert, a good choice for the stop over on our way to Beaune: it had good beds, a convenient place to store our bikes for the night and a breakfast with all the trimminngs including fresh fruit and vegetables.

We continued on the autobahn into France and then thought we would enjoy the slower pace of the more scenic country roads, the route we used to take many years ago on trips to France. But there have been changes. The roads are still scenic, but they aren't as quiet as we remember them. There are many more cars on the roads these days and it made for slow going. And we are older and find driving long hours more tiring. So to shorten the time on the road we reverted to the autoroute with its fast moving traffic and many trucks, always trying to pass each other, and arrived in Beaune around three.

A picnic stop, we still have some sandwiches from he stash I brought from home.
Heart 8 Comment 0

In the narrow streets of Beaune we somehow managed to park long enough to unload the car, call the B&B host and find the key to get access to our little apartment. Made it! Kudos to Janos for his driving skills and presence of mind in tight squeezes, especially with the bikes so exposed as they are on the bike rack on the back of the car.

We know the Andersons and Susan are already in town, but we put off the big  moment, resting up and making ourselves acquainted with our home for two days. We have a comfortable apartment on the ground floor of one of some old buildings crowded around a small courtyard.

Our bikes at our front door, safe in a locked up courtyard.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Susan messages me that she will swing by and we can walk together to the restaurant where we are all to meet at seven. There she is, waiting for us on the stret corner! Wonderful to see each other again! When we get to the restaurant there they are, Rachael and Scott! Big hellos and hugs! We all made it in spite of operation, sprained ankle, bicycle breakdown, hospital - adverse events  transpiring since we first hatched the plans for Burgundy. 

We had a fine meal and much to catch up on. Tired and content, we said good night, looking forward to our days together. But before the cycle starts, we will spend another day in Beaune and meet another CycleBlazer!

First impressions - probably more pictures of us in Susan's and Team Anderson's journals.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe meal looks tasty! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Gregory GarceauLooks like fun was had by all, and the food & wine looks good too. Also, good job in getting your meet-up story posted before Scott.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesHurrah, you all made it! So nice to see everyone together.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamHurrah you all made it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierSo happy to see that this really happened after all the planning!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Nancy GrahamPicnic spot looks idyllic and what a fantastic opportunity to join the others for the start of you adventures. Lots of planning ahead, and here you all are.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago