Who knows when we will return to Burgundy - Burgundy Buzz - CycleBlaze

Who knows when we will return to Burgundy

Only a week to go and we're on the road with our bicycles. Time to get a journal up before we are in a last minute dither of preparation for a tour that has been in the planning since ... when? I can't remember when the idea was born or exactly whose idea it was.

Years ago, prior to our e-bike touring and with a tent, we cycled a week through parts of Burgundy. I concluded my journal of the trip with the words:

Burgundy is lovely and we are looking forward to going back to see the many places that we didn't get to this time - but then there are so many places we want to visit by bike, who knows when we will return to Burgundy.

That was 14 years ago. There have been many bicycle tours in the interim, some in France but none in Burgundy. So why did we decide on Burgundy now? 

The idea might have come when Rachael and Scott Anderson came through last September and were already planning to tour in France in 2022, or when I met up with Susan Carpenter around the same time and learned of her hopes to spend a year in Paris. Or was it when Scott sometime in January published his projected itinerary through France that we said we would love to meet up somewhere on their route? Burgundy maybe? 

I don't recall who was the first to suggest the plan, but here we are a week before departure and very excited at the prospect of touring with Susan, Rachael and Scott! We will ride the same route together for about a week, after which Janos and I will loop back to Beaune where we will have left our car. Our routes on Komoot are ready, hotels booked and even a reservation at a restaurant has been made for the first evening we are all in Beaune.

Since our last tour in Burgundy 14 year ago, our style of traveling has changed. Technology provides more support, our bodies less. We ride e-bikes now, navigate using Komoot on our cell phones and don't carry camping gear. If anything I would say the joy of cycle touring has increased over the years.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 12
Scott AndersonWe are so excited about this - we’ve been looking forward to it ever since the idea started to come together. The idea was hatched when we visited you, I think down in Starnberg. I remember fancifully raising the subject, pointing out that Burgundy is just a short jaunt around the corner for you, so you might as well hop over and join us. I think it wasn’t until mid-winter though after we posted the first draft of our itinerary that you finally took the bait.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWe have such a marvelous time visiting you and Janos last year and are very excited to spend more time with you! It’ll be nice visiting with both of you and Susan when I’m not itching from an insect sting. See you soon.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamThat sounds absolutely wonderful
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Nancy GrahamOh boy! Another tour. I will enviously be following along. How great that you get time with Rachel and Scott too. Happy trails ;’-)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Nancy GrahamThanks, Nancy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierWe’re envious, too! Best wishes from Rome - maybe we can join you for the next one!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterI've been looking forward to this since you mentioned the possibility over our dinner in Munich last fall. It seemed like a faraway dream, and I'm thrilled that the time is on hand. So looking forward to seeing you again, meeting Janos, and spending a wonderful week in Burgundy with everyone.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith KleinHi,

I’ve contacted Scott and Rachel and I’ll write to Susan, but you will be coming right through Gevrey where I live. It would be great to see you all. We’ll refine plans as you get nearer.

Cheers,

Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Keith KleinWonderful, I'm looking forward to meeting you, Keith!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyThis is so exciting Suzanne, all of you getting together for a cycle tour! Will be following along! Have a wonderful trip !
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesYay! Have a great time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauWow, this meet up is going to be exciting to read about from the perspective of at least three different journals. And then there'll be Rocky's videos and (hopefully) Janos' videos. And now I see Keith will be joining you. I guarantee he will be a great resource when it comes to French food and wine.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago