A day in Beaune - Burgundy Buzz - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2022

A day in Beaune

Not riding yet. And it's a good thing for various reasons. I enjoyed our morning in the town, liesurely visiting places of interest and taking pictures. We were lucky with the weather, too. Hot weather was predicted, but a light rain at night and an overcast sky until noon made walking about very pleasant. 

The highlight of the day was meeting expat and CycleBlazer Keith Klein and his wife Susan. The seven of us had a lovely lunch together in a restaurant that Keith had chosen for us, Les Caveaux des Arches. We found we had many topics in common and the time passed quickly. 

First a picture from our lunch, then a batch from our morning sightseeing.

Heart 9 Comment 1
Gregory GarceauWhat a great picture of the bunch. The only thing that could have made it better is if you would have been in it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Now back to the morning. We started our amble about town with the Hotel-Dieu.

The Hospices de Beaune or Hôtel-Dieu de Beaune is a former charitable almshouse, founded in 1443, as a hospital for the poor. The original hospital building, the Hôtel-Dieu, is one of the finest examples of fifteenth-century Burgundian architecture. 

What the beds might have looked like
Heart 2 Comment 0
Reconstruction of the hospital ward
Heart 3 Comment 0
Caring for the poor
Heart 2 Comment 0
Courtyard of the Hotel-Dieu
Heart 7 Comment 0
Janos listening to the audio-guide
Heart 5 Comment 1
Eva WaltersSuch an interesting place, and the audio-guides are really helpful. I remember being impressed with the kitchen display.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We also visited the Basilique Notre Dame and its cloisters

This collegiate Basilica belongs to the last great Romanesque style churches of Burgundy. Its construction started in the middle of the 12th century on the Cluny Abbey’s pattern and it was completed at the beginning of the following century keeping an outstanding unity of style to it.

Starting with the cloisters
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0

I got these pictures completely out of order, so instead of deleting and starting all over again I'll just add the captions. A bit chaotic, sorry.

Image not found :(
Enjoyed our visit to Notre Dame and now off to wander the streets of Beaune some more.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Approaching Notre Dame
Heart 4 Comment 0
View to the streets from the front portal, looking bow legged. But that's the camera's fault.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Remains of early ceiling frescos
Heart 3 Comment 0
Notre Dame is known for its tapestries from the 15th Century. Unfortunately they weren't accessible today so I just poked the lens of my camera through the bars of the gate.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Lednar De NallohI wonder what the story is about the baby being impaled on a sword and the other baby having it's private bits stabbed...freaky ?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonThat must be the story of Herod having all male babies killed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Unfortunately I knocked over a post with chains meant to keep visitors out. It made a loud clanging noise which echoed throughout the church. I beat a quick retreat and was relieved that no alarm went off.
Heart 3 Comment 0

After limiting our bicycle tours mainly to Germany for a couple of years, it is such a treat to be able to take in the small details of the streets of a foreign country, so different from what we see every day. Sometimes it's just doors and windows and mail boxes and walls and chimneys that catch my eye, not the works of art.  

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 6 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The afternoon was hot so we just chilled in our room and I tried to sort my pictures. Finished the day with a nice meal with Susan, Rachael and Scott while Janos stayed behind, organizing things for tomorrow, our first day on the road!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 0