Beaune to Dijon: First day on the road - Burgundy Buzz - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2022

Beaune to Dijon: First day on the road

What we have been looking forward to for so long: cycling together. We agreed to meet at Porte Nicolas at nine to get an early start and beat the heat, predicted to reach a high of 32C today.

We are ready.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Waiting for the gang at Porte Nicolas
Heart 3 Comment 0
Susan arrives on the scene shortly before nine.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Here come the Andersons, a few minutes later.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonBut precisely on time!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We follow a route recommended by Keith, who probably knows the area like his vest pocket. It's an easy ride on country roads through the villages and between fields of grain at first and later vineyards. With a grand wind blowing us along it seems effortless. We are delighted with the beautiful scenery and country roads, but even more amazing is how easy it is to ride in a group. At the start of the ride we agreed everyone should ride at his own pace and stop wherever and whenever they wanted, we didn't have to stick together since we all had the same route on our devices. As it turned out we often rode as a group, everyone stopped once in a while, here and there, but we basically remained together. 

I know no other country that has such a fantastic infrastructure of small roads with negligible traffic.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We're in the vineyards now.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The red poppies were calling to have their picture taken with my red panniers.
Heart 10 Comment 0
Not a cloud in the sky, you can almost see the heat. Thank goodness for the wind, and in the right direction.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A short break in the shade
Heart 7 Comment 0
Where's Scott? Probably lagging behind taking taking pictures, or else sprinting ahead to capture us from the best point of view.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonMy bet is that he was behind!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachael AndersonRocky knows me so well.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Getting closer to our first destination, a visit with Susan and Keith
Heart 5 Comment 0

Susan and Keith live on the route between Beaune and Dijon and invited us to stop by on our way today. We spent a couple of hours on their shady and breezy terrace with a view to best pinot noir vines on the other side of their garden fence. We were served a cyclist's dream of fresh strawberries, cherries, home made gougères, coffee, and more. What kind and thoughtful hosts. We also got a glimpse of Susan's work as a photographer and potter, as well as the carpentry (most of their furniture) that Keith turned out from his very professional workshop. Thank you, Susan and Keith, for a wonderful visit.

Heart 8 Comment 3
ann and steve maher-wearySo fun, thanks for sharing your days with the group. Looking forward to reading about your adventures. Hope it’s not too hot a week.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith KleinHi,
I didn’t realize how white my legs are until seeing this photo! It was great to have you visit.
Tschuss.
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo ann and steve maher-wearyThanks, Ann and Steve. Maybe some day our paths will cross, too. Who knows...
Cooler days coming up.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 6 Comment 0

The afternoon was getting hotter but we didn't have far to go, about 15 km.

Heart 5 Comment 0

 The ride into the center of Dijon was on busy streets, but manageable. A shower, a rest (for Janos and me, anyway) and another enjoyable meal in good company ended a wonderful day. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 50 km (31 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Tricia Grahamanother version of a wonderful day
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesIt’s great that you all play together so well.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago