Has Anyone Read Any Older Journals Lately? (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Has Anyone Read Any Older Journals Lately? (page 3)

Jeff LeeTo Gregory Garceau

A couple of months from now will mark the 15th anniversary of me finding out about bicycle touring. After I initially noticed a reference to something called the "TransAmerica Trail" in a bicycle book I'd received as a Christmas gift in 2005, I did some Googling and soon found, and read, my first few journals.

One of them was by a grad student who was planning to do her coast-to-coast trip in the spring of 2006. She'd already started the journal months before her departure date, and I followed her updates on her preparation for the next months, until she left on the trip. After that I faithfully followed her journal, which she updated mostly from computers in libraries.

I'm probably biased, since I eventually met, and married her, but I think her journal is very good:

CircumTrektion: TransAm 2006

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Gregory GarceauTo Jeff Lee

Ah yes, the classic "Boy reads girl's bike touring journal, boy meets girl, girl and boy get married and tour together" love story.  You're a lucky man.

There are definitely a few touring journals that stand out above the rest.  "CircumTrektion" is one of 'em.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
George HallTo Jeff Lee

Darn it Jeff!  I was planning on doing other things today, but I clicked on the link and started reading the Circumtrektion journal and now I'm more than halfway through and haven't done anything else today!   It's a great journal, and reminds me of the magic of my own Transam tour in 2015.  But I really need to do some other things today - sigh... I guess they can wait until tomorrow so I can finish the journal.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Bob DistelbergTo Jeff Lee

Jeff, thanks for the pointer to Joy's journal. I'm still fairly early into it, but it is really a great read.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Jeff LeeTo Gregory Garceau

Thanks. I mentioned to Joy that I'd posted a link to the journal, and there'd been a few complimentary comments about it. She's a professor who teaches writing, and I think she's amused/bemused that this 15 year-old-travel blog is the most influential work she's created (see here, paragraphs three and four, for example.)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Keith AdamsTo Mike Ayling

You may or may not know, but Leo made his living as a journalist so it stands to reason that he's better than most with words.

Not long after "Halfway (Not Intentionally) Across America" made its original appearance he and I struck up a direct email correspondence which has carried on to this day.  I even had the pleasure of joining him for a couple of days on another of his forays into North America, a few years ago.  His company is as pleasant as his prose.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 week ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Gregory Garceau

Reading all the comments, we'd like to point out that our journal 2015-17 that was deleted from that other site is now on cycleblaze...Racpat RTW. We are working on getting the 2006-07 journal Bali to Boise uploaded.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
1 week ago