Has Anyone Read Any Older Journals Lately? (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Has Anyone Read Any Older Journals Lately? (page 2)

Mike JamisonTo John Pescatore

John, pardon me for butting in with unasked-for information, but I think you'll love biking in Door County! We live in Southern Wisconsin; near Madison, and make at least one multi-day trip a year up there to ride. A couple thoughts: You may be rolling the dice just a bit on Mid-May weather, especially in that Door County environment with large bodies of water serving as weather-makers. You might catch anything between 80 degrees to snow flurries :-) but that's part of the fun! As far as tourists, we have found that even in the dead of summer they tend to congregate in the little towns along the water, especially on the Bay (NW) side. The Lake Michigan shore (SE) tends to be less swarmed. But just a mile or two away from the towns you'll find fairly traffic free roads, and in immaculate condition. They REALLY tend to the condition of the roads up there. Also, treat yourself by riding the far northern section of DC. It's far more rustic and "real" feeling. Finally, consider spending a day riding on Washington Island, an island (obviously!) just off the tip of Door County. Talk about a cycling paradise! A few years ago a fellow told us there were 100 miles of paved roads on Washington Island. My wife and I thought, "Hmmm ... Seriously? There's a concept ride to try!" He wasn't quite right ... there are more like 75-80 miles of paved roads. We know, because this summer we freelanced a century ride on the island. It was great, and although there are some cars on it, the traffic is negligible. If you hit the island stop at Nelson's Bitter Bar and join the Bitters Club. I'll just leave that teaser .... Have a great time up there no matter when you go! Here's the century ride we did on the island ...

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John PescatoreTo Mike Jamison

Thanks for the info, Tom - I definitely have Washington Island on the itinerary list.

Since you live in WI, a question: I've done business trips to Milwaukee but never spent much time and my wife has never been to WI at all. Is it worth spending some (cycling or non-cycling) time in or around Milwaukee? On the way up from Columbus OH,  where we will be stopping to stay with friends on the way out, looks like  getting to Milwaukee would then give us a short drive to Algoma on a following day. Worth spending some time there?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Mike Jamison

Ditto what Mike’s saying.  Washington Island is an awesome cycling destination.  We booked far enough to be able to stay at Gills Rock, not far from the ferry, and bike over for the day.  And Mike is right about the southeast along Lake Michigan and the quiet interior roads.  I especially enjoyed staying in Algoma.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
John PescatoreTo Scott Anderson

Thanks, Scott - I enjoyed your journal,  along with Kelly's, and we've pretty much decided to make Algoma our base for a few days.  This is a drive and bike kinda trip and WI is a 2 day drive from here in MD. So, will probably have 3-4 days to spend in the area.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo John Pescatore

Sounds like a great plan.  With a car especially Algoma would make a fine base for day rides.  You could drive up to the ferry dock for Washington Island  as a day trip.  If you like lighthouses it’s definitely worth a trip out to Cana Island too.  Sip on a Little Soldier for me at the Ahnapee Brewery when you get back to town.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Mike JamisonTo John Pescatore

John, I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not all that familiar with the Milwaukee area, even after living in Wisco for 35 years. The Milwaukee Art Museum is usually a pretty good bet and the Kohler Art Museum in Sheboygan (of all places!) is worth a stop just to see their bathrooms ... seriously .... the bathrooms are jaw dropping works of art (and functioning bathrooms!). Biking-wise you might want to Google the Ozaukee Inter-urban Trail, a paved bike trail that runs from south of Sheboygan all the way down to Brown Deer Wisconsin. It's a nice trail, 30 miles in length and runs from one little town to another until it hits the northern 'burbs of Milwaukee. Honestly though, I'd choose another day riding in Door County over the trail if I was pressed for time. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Gregory Garceau

It looks like none of the forum users have read any older journals worth recommending . . . at least lately.  That's okay, I'm glad I opened up quite a discussion on Door County and Washington Island and  Mackinac Island.  Great!  I've never bicycled in any of those places, but I have ridden in a lot of other parts of the Great Lakes region.  That includes Milwaukee, which I really liked.  I think everybody should visit the upper Midwest at least once in their lifetime, especially the Lake Superior area. 

Of all the responses, I'm most impressed that Mike Ayling has read most of the 703 journals here on Cycleblaze.  I think I've at least looked at a couple pages of 3 or 4 hundred of them.  I'm proud to have been here almost from the beginning.

Peace.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory Garceau

Oh.  I may have misunderstood the initial question, Mr. C. Coffee.  I hadn’t understood it to be a request for specific recommendations, though now that I look again I see that was a part of it.  Yes, of course I read older journals from time to time - sometimes if I’m interested in a particular area, but mostly because I’m catching up on past travels of my favorite authors.  I’m just hesitant to speak to who those are or make recommendations.  I value and appreciate everyone’s contributions here, and wouldn’t want to single anyone out because we all are seeking such different things.

Except ours, of course.  I definitely recommend that you get busy and start reading ALL our older journals.  They’re all excellent and worthy of your time and especially your votes.  Get busy!  What else do you have to do in the middle of winter anyway?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Scott Anderson

Thanks for that fine (and unbiased) recommendation, Scott, but it comes too late.  I think I've already read all your journals.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory Garceau

Graham Finch next then?

Reply    Link    Flag
2 years ago