How to enter journals created on another site into CycleBlaze (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

How to enter journals created on another site into CycleBlaze (page 2)

George HallTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Northern Tier, east to west.  We are about 1 month ahead of an optimum start time based on weather, but we are restricted to schedule - the original plan was to ride the Transam, things changed but we can't change the schedule.  So we will have some chilly/cold early morns for a few weeks - may even get snowed on a bit!    Due to last-minute change and other things going on, I haven't yet had time to do any detailed route planning regarding where we will stay - we will try and stay inside as much as possible the first few weeks until the temperature improves.  Leaving on 3 day drive to start trip on Sat, not much time left to plan and do all the other things - so this will be a fly-by-the-chamois-of-your-bike-shorts adventure. 

Buddy

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo George Hall

We'll have to keep in touch...we are starting June 1 in Anacortes, taking NT until Fargo, then mixing it up a bit, Ferry,  Rail trails like Paul Bunyan in MN, the Wabash Cannonball in Ohio and the Eire Canalway Buffalo to Albany, zig zagging VT/NH and ending in Bar Harbor around Oct 10th .

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
George HallTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Good to know! Very rough quick calculation tells me that we may cross paths somewhere in North Dakota. I’ll definitely be watching your journal.

Buddy

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mike JamisonTo David Fritsch

Hey Dave - Same as everyone else has said, I too am waiting for several journals to be ported over. Mine landed in the queue shortly after the new year, so I am guessing that there is quite a large backlog, and it is going to be a while before they appear here. I've fought off the urge to dive in and start reconstructing them as others have mentioned, but that will cut into riding time, so I'll wait it out. I wonder if any of the "officials" here could give us a sense of how many journals are in line to be activated? 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Jeff ArnimTo Mike Jamison

There are many journals waiting in line – enough that I don't have an exact count. Earlier today I found a few additional import requests in my spam folder. Although I don't know how many more journals will come out of that group, I'd guess the backlog is somewhere between 125 and 150.

The biggest challenge has been finding time to chip away at that backlog in between work (so much work), moving out of one home and into another, and the constant low-grade insanity of living with a three-year-old.

Going forward, I'm focused on importing a few journals for each person who has requested help, then circling back and going through another round, and on and on until things get caught up. But if people are tired of waiting and would rather re-create their journals by hand, I totally get it. I'd be annoyed at having had to wait so long too!

If anyone is worried that all of this might be driving me crazy, you should be – I'm buying an e-bike later this week. I'm now one of those people.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Jeff Arnim

No worries, Jeff. We are happy to have a new place to belong and post.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Mike JamisonTo Jeff Arnim

Whoa, that’s a lot!! Thanks for slugging away at that large pile Jeff!! It’s all good. My wife and I just finished an ACA tour in Texas and three folks had eBikes. They all said they were so appreciative they existed, because they wouldn’t have been able to participate otherwise. One gentleman continually apologized for using his power assist up the steep grades until everyone told him he had no penance to serve as far as we were all concerned. I believe he was in his mid to late 70’s. Thanks again for the info Jeff!

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
David FritschTo Rich Frasier

Hi Rich, Thanks for the welcome.  Jeff Arnim emailed me a link to upload my copy of the journals from the other site.  The computer upload is churning away as I write. Prior to his contact I started to enter the pictures and the text from one of my journals as you suggested. It's relatively easy to save the pictures and copy and paste the text, perhaps easier than on the other site. However, I'm having trouble with some basic set up issues.  When I "create an item", what is the difference between a "Heading" and an "Entry"?  Since I've not made my journal public, I can view the journal only through an "Edit Journal" process.  The first page and each subsequent page has "Page of 0) where a page number should appear and the navigation icons are greyed out. Will page numbers only be actives when I make the journal public?  I really didn't want my experimental efforts to be cluttering up everyone's screens.  I need to understand this process in order to be able to generate any new journals even if Jeff is able to upload my existing journals in mass. Is there any FAQ on CycleBlaze or elsewhere where I could research this type of basic issue?

Dave Fritsch

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rich FrasierTo David Fritsch

Hi Dave -

You ask good questions!  I had to go back and look to figure out some answers.

First, you want to create an "Entry" for each day of your journal.  A "Heading" appears to be a single-line item that you would use to group a set of Entry items.   Like, for example, if you had a trip that went through multiple countries and you wanted to separate the entries for each country, you could use a Heading to introduce the Entry items for that country.

When you're editing your journal, I think it's normal for the navigation icons to be greyed out and normal for the page numbers to be wrong or placeholder values.  When you take the journal active, they should be correct.

I'm not aware of a FAQ.   But as I mentioned, my editing needs were pretty small.  

If I've given incorrect answers, I hope more experienced authors will jump in to correct me!

HTH

Rich

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Jeff LeeTo Jeff Arnim

AN E-BIKE!?!?

But Jeff, when your inevitable rapprochement  with Neil Gunton finally occurs, his rigid rules will not allow you post journals on CGoaB from any e-bike tours you might do!

Jeff

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago