How to enter journals created on another site into CycleBlaze - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

How to enter journals created on another site into CycleBlaze

David Fritsch

I want to enter several journals and a few articles I created on another site into CycleBlaze without having to enter each picture and the narratives individually. I noticed some CycleBlaze authors have content here which I saw elsewhere, so I presume it must not be a tremendously time consuming process. I have already downloaded and unzipped my content from the other site.  I did use the "contact us" feature twice on CycleBlaze for instructions but have not received an answer.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo David Fritsch

First off, allow me to be the first to welcome you to Cycleblaze.  I am not one of the developers or moderators or anything official at all, so I don't want to speak out of turn, but I have a feeling there is a pretty large backup on transferring journals from other sites at this time.  All I can tell you is that I've done exactly what you mentioned  (entered every picture and narrative individually) and found it to be enormously rewarding.  Once I got going, it was way more interesting than simply re-reading my own journal . . . I felt like I was re-living it.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Lyle McLeodTo David Fritsch

Hi David, like Greg said, welcome to Cycle Blaze. Hope you like it here as much as I have. Also like Greg, I’m not a moderator, just another site user and contributor. I also agree with his thinking that there is a large backlog of journals to import and correspondence from folks in the same situation as you to deal with. There has been a large exodus from the other place (I have a vision of Charlton Heston standing by the Red Sea in my head right now). Based on my experience, I’m confident that it will happen for you in time. 

I wrote our first journal here in late 2019 (9 1/2 Weeks, Copenhagen to Lecce) and was very happy with the experience. Right after that I sent a note to Jeff (via the Contact function) with links to my ‘other site’ journals enquiring about getting them imported as I found Cycle Blaze to be much more user friendly (modern?) as did our friends and family who follow along on our trips. I think I was near the front end of the current wave of journals flooding in, but over a few months they all got imported. The only things missing were the maps and some You Tube links. All the pictures and captions were there. To no surprise, I was exiled from CGOAB a few months ago in the last purge, but it was no issue for me. All my journals were already here by that time.

Fortunately I still had all of my map data stored on Garmin Connect going back to 2013, so it was relatively easy to add in the maps to each journal, and this also afforded me the opportunity to edit and correct (most of the many) spelling and grammar issues in my older journals. This was a good covid project. Beat sitting in Zoom meetings!

I know this does nothing to answer your direct question of how to import journal files you already have, but hopefully it gives you some comfort that over time your journals will find a home here.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Deleted AccountTo David Fritsch

Hi David, concur with the two previous replies. I know someone who has been waiting about 3 months to have his journals imported here, Jeff is very busy with a huge number wanting in here. 

I did my own, very time consuming doing it page by page but I'm retired so no drama for me. I enjoyed doing it, it allowed me to clean up my numerous spelling and grammar errors and agree with Gregory, it allowed me to relive the rides somewhat.

Cheers,

Andrew

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo David Fritsch

We add to all above, Welcome! We also are newbies and  just moved to Cycleblaze (I think now from end of Feb  maybe?) ...and awaiting our journals to be upload, so patience. 

We've have found people on this site to be very welcoming and helpful!

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rich FrasierTo David Fritsch

Hi David - Welcome!  Like Gregory, I re-entered my 3 journals from the other site.  I too found it fun to revisit those tours, and it took only 2 hours or so (I’m not a very good or prolific author).  My system was to first upload all the pictures for each post, which you can do in a single operation.  I then put the text between the pictures by copying and pasting.  It’s super fast, so if you are in the mood maybe give it a try!  

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
George HallTo David Fritsch

David;

I'm also a transfer here from that other place - I believe you will find it quite accommodating.  To me it was a real breath of fresh air to discover that this site existed and to see so many names I recognized from the other site.  I used the "contact us" message option and asked for my 2 journals to be transferred from that other site, and I'm in the queue for that to happen.  Most every day now I see the number of journals grow by 1 or more, so I know it is happening.  It may take a while for you to get a reply from the "contact us" message you sent, but you will eventually get one - as others have said, quite a few folks have migrated here and more seem to come every day as they discover that this site exists.   Patience is needed - it will happen in time.  As soon as my journals get posted here I will delete them from the other site.  

BTW, I have begun writing a new journal that will be made public soon once I commence the trip.  I find that it is MUCH easier to use the web tools here to write a journal - you write using the same tools as you use when posting in this forum.  So that's a real plus for me.  I was so happy to discover this site that the 1st thing I did was send a donation - then I made myself an annual calendar reminder to send a donation.  If we want this site to survive, we need to be willing to support it, even if it's a very modest amount.  Welcome aboard, looking forward to reading your journals once they get posted here!

Buddy 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo George Hall

Hi George,

We did the same, and agree and we are happy to support. Looking forward to your journal where are you going? We also will be posting a journal in about a month.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
David FritschTo George Hall

Well, apparently members all read CycleBlaze on Sundays! Thanks for the replies and the welcome.  I think I'm going to go ahead and try to enter one of my earlier journals on my own and see how it goes. Perhaps it will have the effect of lessening the work load on the volunteer moderators. 

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago
Wayne EstesTo David Fritsch

I manually re-created my 3 newest tour journals which are mercifully short. Only 8, 9, and 6 days. I plan to manually re-create still more journals eventually.

I also sincerely hope that the site custodians can use scripts to import more of my older journals which are much longer. The next two old journals in my import queue are 61 and 43 days.

No worries, no complaints, and no hurry.

Reply    Link    Flag
3 years ago