Journal Comments - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

Journal Comments (page 2)

From The Adventures of Garfield and Tango by marilyn swett

marilyn swett replied to a comment by Bill Shaneyfelt on a photo in What happens on the river, stays on the river

Thanks Bill!

Datura was what I thought as well but I kept thinking they only bloomed at night? Sacred thornapple sounds like an interesting name. Thanks once more, Bill!

marilyn swett replied to a comment by Kelly Iniguez on a photo in What happens on the river, stays on the river

You're right about the tunnel Kelly - but those grasses were quite tall. You couldn't see the river at times. Jacinto would love the climbing in this area. The hills on the one trail went straight up!! Too tough for us. I agree that it seemed like the area was hillier than Tucson. But nice though!

Kelly Iniguez replied to a comment by Kelly Iniguez on a photo in What happens on the river, stays on the river

When we were there in 2019, Oren and I rode on the highway and Jacinto took the path. Jacinto said the path was so steep that he had to pedal sitting down for fear he would fall over backwards standing up. That's too steep for me!

Kelly Iniguez commented on a photo in What happens on the river, stays on the river

I was corrected about tunnels - to be a tunnel, the greenery has to touch over the top. I'm now noting that I go through quite a few alleys. That's the best word I could come up with . . . .

It sounds like St George has a lot more climbing than Tucson!

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in What happens on the river, stays on the river

One website says there are about 75 many petal yellow wildflowers in that area! Who'd have guessed? Based on leaf shape, flower petal shape, color, size, and overall flower "look," I will make a wild guess that it might be damianita daisy.

Very nice shot of a female side blotched lizard!

It is a species of Datura. There are 3 in that area, and of those, I'd say this is likely sacred thornapple.

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in Slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter

I'd be tempted, but pass as well.

2 weeks ago

Looks like desert willow. Blooming due to the recent monsoon rains.

2 weeks ago

I know little if anything about lichens. Didn't know colleges even had courses in Lichenology! But they are everywhere, and often quite colorful as you documented. Here is a link to an interesting article about an old Lichenologist that I just dug up.

2 weeks ago

Yup! According to one website, there are about a dozen species in that area!

2 weeks ago
marilyn swett replied to a comment by Scott Anderson on a photo in Elks to the rescue!!

BOY!!! This area is sure hilly!!!! We tried the trail following Highway 18 yesterday, hoping to get to the state park, but it ended up way too steep for us. We were walking more than biking. I know you had mentioned that, but a single upright bike can more easily manage the steep climbs than our recumbent tandem. It was so frustrating because the road wasn't nearly was steep and had a wide shoulder. While the trail was nice, we kicked ourselves that we hadn't taken the highway! Next time...... We did ride along Snow Canyon Pkwy a short ways. I think we might ride the Virgin River trail tomorrow but this time we'll drive to a start that's lower down the hill.

2 weeks ago
marilyn swett replied to a comment by Scott Anderson on It's raining hoodoos

We knew it could be cold in Bryce at this time of year but hoped that we had a window with tolerable temperatures. But with our failing furnace, we just couldn't chance staying there with snow in the forecast. Would have made for some incredible pictures, though!

2 weeks ago
Scott Anderson commented on a photo in Elks to the rescue!!

Looks like a great location. Don’t fail to bike out the Snow Canyon Parkway and up into Snow Canyon!

2 weeks ago