We should be dancing - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

December 1, 2021

We should be dancing

Phoenix dance day take 1

Boy, I can't believe it's December 1 already with Christmas and New's Year's Eve right around the corner! We've seen lot of holiday decorations going up everywhere, but it's still a bit bizarre to see a saguaro cactus draped in lights!

Tonight we're attending the first dance planned for this week, so no biking today. 

Breakfast was pretty leisurely as I worked to update the journal and Don researched dance venues. Slowly the sun rose over the mountain but the sunrises here aren't nearly as pretty as the sunsets. 

The coveys of quail were so comical as they scurried around our campsite, sometimes chasing each other away from the seed. We've also seen hummingbirds, Gila woodpeckers and some finches. 

Later we drove over to Walmart for a grocery restock - hopefully the last one we'll need to do on this trip and then picked up more propane. I know that going north to Denver next week, we're going to need lots of propane to run our furnace at night to stay warm and keep our water lines from freezing. 

By the time we got back home, put away the groceries and had a late lunch, there wasn't much time to relax before we needed to get ready for our dance. The music started at 5 pm so we didn't even have a cooked dinner. I just brought some protein bars, nuts and pretzels with us to snack on later. 

Tonight we were going to the Mesa Elks lodge where we would be meeting friends from Denver - Jim and Maureen. They happened to be down in this area at the same time that we were here, visiting relatives. 

But we hit a snafu when we pulled into the lodge parking lot and Don realized he had left his dance shoes back in the trailer. Oh crap! Well, there was nothing to do but return to our site and pick them up. At least it was a fairly short drive. 

Back at the Elks again, we found the seats that our friends had saved for us. It was so great to see familiar faces and catch up with news from home! I've really missed everyone since being on this long trip.

It was an enjoyable evening, dancing to a live country rock band. However, the floor was smaller and very crowded, but we did the best we could do. For a Wednesday night, the lodge was a lot busier than we expected. 

By 7:30 we had had enough for the night, so headed back to camp. We didn't want to wear ourselves out as we've got more dances scheduled for the rest of the week. 

Another yellow flowering plant to ID Bill.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltCassia

https://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/taxa/index.php?taxon=667
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettThanks, Bill!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
I believe this is a Curve-billed Thrasher.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltAgreed! Unique birds. I recognized it from my Ornithology at ASU in 1967!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Curve-billed_Thrasher/id
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltAgreed! Unique birds. I recognized it from my Ornithology at ASU in 1967!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Curve-billed_Thrasher/id
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Bill ShaneyfeltI was happy to see some new to us birds here in the campground!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
This bird was a tough one to ID, but I think it's a Gray-Headed Junco.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a Cactus Wren.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the common Gila Woodpecker sharing the seed block with a Gambel's Quail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0