Journal Comments - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

From Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road by marilyn swett

Scott Anderson commented on Tour de cities

Nice ride!

1 day ago
Scott Anderson commented on a photo in It feels good to be lost in the right direction

Peach-faced lovebirds. What an appealing name.

marilyn swett commented on a photo in Mesa is no Venice

Thanks - this guy was so obliging, just hanging around on this dead tree posing and sitting still on each branch. I was so shocked to see one here as we'd only seen a couple at our campground in Tucson. They never stayed still for very long.

marilyn swett commented on a photo in Mesa is no Venice

Yeah - I love them! I wear long leggings so like socks with tall cuffs. I might have to look for another pair at their on-line store. They have lots of different patterns.

Scott Anderson commented on a photo in Mesa is no Venice

Beautiful shot.

Scott Anderson commented on a photo in Mesa is no Venice

Hot!!

marilyn swett commented on a photo in Attack of the golf carts!

Thanks, for checking. I wasn't sure as we've never been to Organ Pipe NM to see organ pipe cactus in the wild.

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in Attack of the golf carts!

Maybe, but it looks a bit small for organ pipe. Just guessing stems are about 4-5 inches thick vs about 6 for organ pipe.

Maybe some import from Central or South America. That's the problem with garden cacti, unless one is an expert, it is really difficult to say. Some varieties look almost identical, and need either locality or genetic info. to tell them apart.

marilyn swett commented on I'm not lost, I'm exploring!

Yes, it was too bad not to hook up. Oh well, another visit. Thanks for the info on the trail. We wondered if you could get to Tangerine on the trail or at least a road since we know that we can ride Tangerine all the way to the interstate and further west past the river. There is one section that doesn't have much of a shoulder but the rest is fine.

marilyn swett replied to a comment by Scott Anderson on a photo in I'm not lost, I'm exploring!

I spotted this guy along Tangerine as we were climbing the hill going west up to 1st Ave/Rancho Vistoso intersection. It was quite patient with me, just sitting there as I took several shots.

I kept going back and forth between the 2. It would have been nice to have one of each species sitting together on the same branch for comparison!

marilyn swett replied to a comment by Bill Shaneyfelt on a photo in I'm not lost, I'm exploring!

Yeah - this was a tough one to ID

Scott Anderson commented on I'm not lost, I'm exploring!

Sorry we didn’t connect up also - this was our big chance! As far as continuing downriver beyond Twin Peaks though, you should try it sometime. The bike path continues about another three miles before finally ending at Avra Valley Road. It’s nice the whole way out, though a bit hilly the last quarter mile when it rounds a small formation.

Scott Anderson replied to a comment by Bill Shaneyfelt on a photo in I'm not lost, I'm exploring!

It looks like a Cooper’s hawk to me, but the main indicator is the size difference. The rule of thumb I’ve read is that Coppers are about the size of a crow and sharp shined about the size of a jay.

More importantly though, what a terrific shot! Where did you see this guy?

Bill Shaneyfelt commented on a photo in I'm not lost, I'm exploring!

Might be sharp-shinned. Hawks give me fits! They are so variable and similar, but the rounded head might be evidence to call it sharp-shinned... on the other hand, that might just be the angle of the shot. The tail does look kind of long...

I agree with you!