Riverina Rolling - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2021

Riverina Rolling

Wagga Wagga to Narrandera

Today started at 7am with us four older cycle tourers sprinting on our loaded bikes from the Big 4 Campground to Wagga Wagga city centre. ABC Radio Riverina had called to ask if I could get to the studio in 15 minutes to do a breakfast show interview with broadcaster Sally Bryant. We made it on time.

After the radio interview finished, we headed west on the Sturt Highway toward Narrandera. Soon the scenery became much more broad acre pastoral and distinctively Riverina. The country side is looking glorious after recent heavy rains.

True to the theme of this ride, much of the afternoon treadling was against the wind. A steady north westerly  turned a fairly easy day into a moderately difficult one. Nevertheless, we rolled the 102 km into Narrandera by mid afternoon.

More media coverage in the afternoon but more laid back than the morning interview. The Narrandera Argus invited me to do an interview and a photo shoot. It was a pleasant conversation with contract editor Kim. The paper will be published in two days.

We found comfortable cabin accommodation at Lake Talbot campground on the edge of Narrandera.

Morning view from our Wagga Wagga campground.
Heart 2 Comment 0
That’s John waving. The most recent arrival to the group. We are now four riders.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bikes at the cabin accommodation
Heart 3 Comment 0
Early morning interview at the Wagga Wagga ABC radio studio about the Against the Wind fundraising ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Aboriginal art on a water tank. We are in Wiradjuri country
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hardworking farmer
Heart 3 Comment 0
Typical scene on the Sturt Highway today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The train don’t run here no more.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Grain store
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tim Fischer country
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beautiful billabong
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are dry weather roads, and wet weather roads.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 102 km (63 miles)
Total: 354 km (220 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gregory GarceauHi Graham,
It looks like things are off to a great start for you--plenty of publicity, additional riders joining in, great camaraderie, nice scenery--I hope it continues all the way across the continent. If riding "against the wind" is what you want, then I guess I hope you get plenty of that all the way across the continent too. (Just kidding.)

I just have to add one more thing: I really like Ian's tradition of getting all dressed up for the border crossings. There's nothing like looking your best when entering a new state.

-Your pal, The Pope
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Graham SmithTo Gregory GarceauThanks for the blessing Pope Greg. Yes we’ve made a solid start and it now feels like we are in the real outback as the geography, soils and plants are quite different to the high country where I live. With the media coverage and meeting alumni on the way it’s also been a social ride so far. Onwards and outwards as we head further west today.
I hope all is well over your way, and that Covid is becoming less of a constraint.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago