The Remarkable Ian Wallis - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2021

The Remarkable Ian Wallis

Finito on a Red Tie Day

The more observant followers of this journal may have noted that three riders began this “Against the Wind” fundraising ride, but only two of us, Joel Krewaz and me finished the ride in Perth. The third rider, the intrepid Ian Wallis seemed to disappear from the journal photos just after Ceduna. I did mention in the journal where Ian had gone (a detour to Margaret River), but I’m adding this page several weeks after the ride finished because Ian has accomplished something extraordinary.

On Friday 9 July he rolled back into Canberra on his heavily laden, seemingly indestructible yellow Thorn Nomad after riding back from Western Australia. He’s covered about 8000km since the start of this journal by not just doing most of the “Against the Wind” ride to WA, but by also riding solo the entire way home back across The Nullarbor, Sth Australia, Victoria, New South Wales and now into the ACT.

His wife Cora, also an accomplished expedition cycle tourer, and a few of Ian’s cycling mates including me rode about 20 km out of Canberra to accompany Ian home along the busy Barton Highway.

It was wonderful to see him make it safely home after an extraordinary cycle tour which has seen him convering up 200+km some days, camping out every night, braving freezing, wet conditions and the other rigours of long distance, remote solo cycle touring.

And of course Ian was wearing his trademark red tie, which he only dons for special occasions such as border crossings or significant distances covered. He did both today. 8000km and crossed the ACT/NSW border.

Well done Ian Wallis.

Ian and Cora reunited on The Barton Highway about 20km from Canberra as he finishes his double lap across most of Australia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There’s that celebratory Red Tie. Making an appearance for a border crossing and the 8000km mark.
Heart 2 Comment 0
He made it! The border.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Frank, Ian and Cora
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ian’s hardworking Rohloff equipped Thorn Sherpa
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 3,868 km (2,402 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Gregory GarceauA couple months ago I commented on how much I admired that tie he wore at border crossings. Now I have so much more to admire him for. Thanks for that update, Lord Graham. (By the way, I admire you too for completing that entire tour across the Nullarbor.)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Gregory GarceauI admire Ian's beard too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonSuch an inspiration! Great photos too. Thanks for the update, Graham.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo Gregory GarceauGreg someone asked if Ian was a clean shaven teenager when he began this very lengthy cycle tour.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott. It’ll also be interesting to see Ian’s photos. He carries a full sized DSLR and tripod on tour and takes time to capture images en-route.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Doug WhiteheadI had the privilege of meeting the three amigos as they started out on day 1 and stopped off for a coffee at Yass. They shared their stories and radiated enthusiasm for the task ahead of them. I am delighted to see these pictures and that Ian made it back home in one piece too. Hearty congratulations to you all and enjoy the achievements. Best to you all. Doug
Reply to this comment
2 years ago