Flat, Far and Serendipity - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

April 21, 2021

Flat, Far and Serendipity

Narrandera to Carrathool

Now we’ve reached further into The Riverina, the country is far flatter than where we began the tour a few days ago. Also today we were fortunate to have almost wind-free conditions, comfortable temperatures and good roads, so despite the heavy loads we rode much further than expected. 133 km to arrive a bit after sunset at the fairly remote hamlet of Carrathool. 

Fortunately the pub had accommodation so three of us booked in, and ordered pizzas from the pub’s kitchen. Ian decided he’d prefer to camp in one of the riverside reserves.

Other than the substantial riding, it was a very social day. For the first time we were able to obtain a group photo of all four Against the Wind riders with the help of friendly Narrandera bakery staff. Further on, at Darlington Point serendipity intervened. On two separate occasions today we met  people who were closely involved with the Australian Rural Leadership Foundation, which is the not-for-profit organisation this ride is a fundraiser for.

Overall it’s been a very hard but enjoyable day of cycle touring.

Dawn over Lake Talbot at Narrandera
Heart 4 Comment 0
Morning view from near the accommodation, Lake Talbot van park
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ian, John, Joel and me.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Colton crop near Darlington Point
Heart 2 Comment 0
Grand old shearing shed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Main Canal. Irrigation water to sustain orchards, cotton and rice.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our en-masse cycle touring bikes. Two Thorns, a Surly and a Jamis.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At Darlington Point I was pleased to learn that a founding Board Director of the ARLF, Bruce Gowrie-Smith was now living in town. I was able to pay a visit. Bruce is a very successful farmer and tireless advocate for rural and regional Australia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The second serendipity moment of the day. Friend and alumnus of the Australian Rural Leadership Foundation, Carol Huggins, was driving along Murrumbidgee River Road. She recognised the cyclist and stopped to have a chat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Joel preparing for cooler riding conditions as we rode into late evening today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
End of a long ride day as we approached Carrathool.
Heart 3 Comment 0

 

Today's ride: 133 km (83 miles)
Total: 487 km (302 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0