Highway out and back - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

November 10, 2021

Highway out and back

Kartchner Caverns State Park to Whetstone Ranch

It was a bit chilly this morning - 40's - which is sure a change from Lake Havasu which was always in the 60's overnight! But we're at a higher elevation at Kartchner. 

I bundled up in my hoodie and took my tea outside to watch the sun rise which was pretty as usual. 

Since it was going to take awhile for it warm up enough to ride, we drove into Benson to do some grocery shopping and fill up our grill tank with propane. By the time we got back, it was time for lunch and perfect for a ride. 

Don said his feet were a little sore from walking the grocery, but was willing to do a ride if it was a short one. He had emptied out the bed of the truck in preparation to load the bike but for today we opted to just take off directly from the campground and do a route along Highway 90. 

When we turned north onto the 4-lane divided highway toward Benson, we had a little headwind. While this isn't our favorite road to ride, it does have a wide smooth shoulder. I just hoped we wouldn't get a flat from debris on the road. Traffic was constant and a bit noisy at times so it was hard to talk to each other. 

So I just pedaled and gazed at the expansive views across the desert valley to the east. The mesquite trees seemed so green and lush compared to the sparse vegetation in the desert around Borrego Springs and Lake Havasu. And there aren't any sagauros here - mostly yucca, some prickly pear cactus and ocotillo. 

We rode all the way to the entrance to Whetstone Ranch which is a newer housing development, then turned around to head back home.

Now that we were going south, there was a nice tailwind which helped nudge us up and down the rolling road. Things were going well until I heard a 'clunk' from my pedal and the timing chain fell off (this chain attaches my pedals to Don's pedals). 

Well heck! What was that all about?! 

We stopped and Don put the chain back on. He said it seemed a little loose.

This happened 2 more times and both times Don was able to reattach it, but he said there was a little wobble in my crank arm which could be a bearing issue. That sounded like a major problem to me and I hoped that he would be able to fix it so we didn't have to take the bike to a bike shop. 

Fortunately we made it back home without walking. 

Since it was getting late in the day, Don said he would address the bike repair tomorrow when he'd have more time. We're planning to go to a dance tomorrow night in Tucson so weren't going to ride anyway. If it isn't one thing, it's another!

The sunrises at Kartchner Caverns are always spectacular, especially when there are some clouds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rugged Dragoon Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pollen alert!! I don't know what this bush is but it grows throughout this area and has white flowers that are turning to these cottony looking fluff.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltNot 100% positive, but that might be coyote brush.

https://thenaturecollective.org/plant-guide/details/coyote-brush/
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill. You could be right. It looks very similar to the rabbit brush we see elsewhere that has yellow flowers instead of white.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 15 miles (24 km)
Total: 269 miles (433 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0