Dancing is like taking a shower - one wrong turn and you're in hot water! - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

November 11, 2021

Dancing is like taking a shower - one wrong turn and you're in hot water!

Arizona fun day

We're planning to go to a dance tonight so bypassed biking for now. Don worked on Garfield, and found a loose chain and a slightly loose bottom bracket both of which he was able to rectify with tools he had with us. He also lubed the chain so we should be good to go. We'll do a test ride tomorrow. 

I worked on typical housework and interior truck cleaning. Then we trimmed each others' hair. RV'ing is not all fun and games, you know!

We finally had a couple of hummingbirds come to our nectar feeder today. But the rest of the birds have been almost non-existent. You don't even hear them in the trees here. Last year we had bluebirds, ravens and others that showed up. But that was in December, so maybe they were just migrating through the region at that time?

After lunch, we drove into Benson and got more propane as one of our big tanks on the trailer was empty. Then we continued on to St. David - a tiny community south of Benson. We were hunting for pecans and last year found a guy selling from a stand that had really good prices. 

His stand was open, and we picked up pecans and pistachios grown in this area that are SO good! Across the road was another stand so we picked up some more nuts from that guy and then on the return to Benson, we stopped at a garden center/farm stand that advertised pecans and pistachios. 

These were a little more expensive than the other 2 places, but the owner had some roasted some tasty flavored pistachios. We were able to sample several flavors, and settled on garlic and tequila lime. Did you know that Arizona is the 2nd largest grower of pistachios in the US? Most of the groves are in the Wilcox area and to the east. I'll freeze most of the pecans when we get back to Denver.

By the time we got back to camp there wasn't much time left in the day since we had to leave by 4:30 to allow time to drive into Tucson for the dance. It was only about an hour away which isn't too bad. Although dinner tonight had to be protein bars in the truck. 

This dance was a free ballroom dance hosted by a local club. It was held in an old dance hall in the Tucson's Women's Club which had a fairly large wood floor. 

At 6 there was a lesson which we mostly watched since it was rumba which we know. I didn't want to stress my ankle which has been healing nicely. 

There were about 30 people that showed up for the dance at 7 but there was plenty of room for us to have our own table.  There was supposed to be a live band, but I guess they cancelled at the last minute. So the organizer/instructor just played recorded music from his computer which was fine as it was a good mix. 

I think this the first true ballroom community dance we've been to on our trip. It reminded us of the dances we've gone to at home where there was a lot of people standing around socializing on the floor which blocked our way at times. Plus the crowd was much older and hence slower when dancing. But they were all having a good time.

Although the 2 studio dances we've attended played ballroom music, all of the Elk's dances had performers did a mostly country and rock. So it was nice to hear a couple of tangos. I think we were the only ones on the floor that knew how to actually do a tango!

Don said I was a bit under dressed in my summer flowered dress. It's nice but not formal but one that travels well. Two women wore fringe - one was a micro-mini skirt! And she looked older than me!

We had fun and Don even won $20.00 in the drawing. But by 8:30 are feet said they were done for the night so we headed back to camp. 

The mountains to the west of us are always bathed with pink light in the mornings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here's our "stash" of nuts - pecans that have been cracked and a variety of pistachios. All grown here in Arizona and very tasty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tonight we attended a ballroom dance held in Tucson. Nice, friendly group of dancers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Rich FrasierI just love how you two stitch your hobbies together!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezYou could rock a mini skirt - keep your eye out for one to buy!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Kelly IniguezI actually have one that I've worn as my "Twiggy" Halloween costume - it's pretty short and maybe not the best dance skirt when you kick up your legs!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich! We've had fun the past few years finding different places to dance while on our bike trips. It keeps us from forgetting our steps and is kind of cross-training for biking!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezHot red bloomers? Meant to be seen?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago