Do it big, do it right, and do it with style - Fred Astaire - The Adventures of Garfield and Tango - CycleBlaze

November 12, 2021

Do it big, do it right, and do it with style - Fred Astaire

More fun in the sun

We had a mostly relaxing day here at the campground. The sunshine was warm and there wasn't much wind, so it was nice to sit just outside under our new sunshade and read. It's seems like so many days are just go - go g0! 

After lunch Don wanted to do a short test ride on the tandem to make sure his repairs had taken care of the dropped chain issue. We rode around the state park checking out everyone's RV's in the campground, then went over to the visitor center to see what they had for sale in the gift shop. 

Don bought a cool bat sticker for the trailer door while I walked around the hummingbird garden. No hummers today but I did see lots of different small butterflies. None of them perched long enough for a picture. There was one bush that was blooming with red flowers that they seemed to be attracted to. I imagine it also draws in the hummingbirds. 

The bike worked fine so I think we're going to plan on riding Sunday and Monday.

This evening we drove back to Tucson to attend a practice dance hosted at a local dance studio. It was open to the public but mostly there were just students of the studio there working on their steps. 

The studio had a decent sized floating wood floor (the best type of floor you can dance on as it's easier on your legs and feet) and there were about 40 people attending the dance. It was a lot different than the dance on Thursday night as the ages varied from teenagers to maybe our age. 

A woman played recorded music but it was frustrating in that none of the songs were played all the way to their ends. We have certain finishing steps that we use to add a pretty or dramatic ending to our routines so it can be very disconcerting to just end abruptly! We had the same thing happen at another studio dance we went to in Utah. I guess it's so they can fit in more dances for their students? 

Because this dance didn't start until 8:30, we didn't get back to camp until nearly 11:00 which was WAY past my bedtime! I kept dozing off on the drive home. And we want to do this all over again tomorrow night - crazy, I know!

Good morning sunshine!
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the things we picked up in Tucson the other day was this solar shade that attaches to our awning. Don had to install the rivets and snaps which ended up being fairly easy to do. It works great and makes sitting outside more comfortable when it's sunny.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They sold special Kartchner face masks in the gift shop in the state park. I told Don he should buy one since it looks like we'll be wearing masks for a long time.I can't wear the ones that hook over my ears and have to replace the elastic on the ear loops on the KN95 masks we buy so that one piece hooks over my head and the other around my neck
Heart 0 Comment 0
In front of the Kartchner visitor center I saw this 'rock saw' sticking out of this boulder. The blade is diamond plated and was used when they were working on the caverns to make them accessible for visitors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the hummingbird garden by the visitor center was the one bush that was blooming. Of course, it wasn't labeled but the flowers look similar to a fuchia or maybe a penstemon.
Heart 0 Comment 5
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be firecracker bush.

https://www.fireflyforest.com/flowers/271/bouvardia-ternifolia-firecrackerbush/
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltOr a scarlet gilia?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Scott AndersonThat's what I almost suggested until I noticed the flowers have 4 petals and not 5. The area has a limited number of red 4 petal flowers!

https://wildflowersearch.org/search?oldstate=gmc%3A31.837%2C-110.349%3Bcat%3AW%3Bcolor%3Ared%3Blocation%3ARMP2%2BMG+Benson%2C+AZ%2C+USA%3Belev%3A4624%3Bgms%3A11%3B%3Bpetals%3Afour&buttonName=none&hab=&Elev=&PlantName=
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks. I’ll have to watch for this going forward. I might have been misidentifying it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill - the flowers looked similar to a scarlet gilia but that plant grows more as a much smaller plant. This one was a large bush.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Tonight's dance was held at a Tucson studio. Mainly a practice dance and class for its students but it was open to the public.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 3 miles (5 km)
Total: 254 miles (409 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0