Figueres to Girona - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

October 21, 2023

Figueres to Girona

Limping Into Girona

Heart 0 Comment 0

Good grief, as Charlie Brown would say. What was to be a straightforward day became complicated and we live under a lucky star, meeting the best of trail angels yet again. We are feeling so blessed. This will be a short and incoherent post though. It has been quite a day. 


Yum. The day was starting well.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just delicious.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We began the day in Figueres by visiting the Salvador Dali museum. It was fascinating. The pictures won’t do it justice. If you have a chance, go. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then the ride, which started so well, the kilometres clicking by on the NII. Big wide shoulder, light traffic, everything was going well. We could have carried on, but we chose to move to a deserted road which was brilliant for a good while. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The quiet country road provided nice little rollers compared to the beast we were on yesterday.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A successful hunt. The dogs are in the back of the truck. .
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rich FrasierThat's a big one! Someone's eating wild boar ragout tonight - and for most of the winter...
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then some routing confusion which had us stopped at a cattle guard, contemplating the Komoot route which wasn’t looking promising, and the beware of bull sign. Hmmmmmm.

This is when a wonderful man from Barcelona, Ramon,  who was staying at an adjacent agro turismo took the time to let us know that the route ended in a field and there was no way through. Thanks, Komoot. A huge thank you to Ramon. 

That should have been the end of it BUT this is also where I found my chain wrapped around my cassette. How the heck does that spontaneously happen?  I am starting to feel like calamity Kathleen. Both Ramon and Keith got their hands dirty figuring that one out, and we finally left, feeling like we had new friends, and things were fine, until it happened again. 

Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonHow lucky to run into them!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Rachael AndersonThat is twice this tour we have had such wonderful luck. They were both fluent English speakers as well.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
There was also an adorable and incredibly dirty puppy.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The third time it happened and the CN and Chief Mechanic straightened it out we decided I needed to make it to Girona without changing gears. Yikes!  We managed though, and I walked when I had to. Acutely aware that tomorrow is Sunday, we reached Girona after 5 PM with fingers crossed. Sure enough, Eat Sleep Cycle was open until 7 PM and by 6:30 PM my bike was repaired, and we were very relieved. 

The hotel bike room was slammed.
Heart 4 Comment 2
David MathersGood call to stay in one gear. I’m thinking grit, grim, water in the rear derailleur that may have caused the dilemma? Glad that it happened at the back end of your tour and you are safely tucked away in Girona. Safe travels home!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo David MathersYou should have seen it. The first time the chain was wrapped between the cassette and tire a couple of times. Keith had to remove the wheel for he and Ramon to straighten it out. The next two times were easier but one gear was the only way to go. We felt so pumped that we could get it fixed. I am sure you are right when I think of what we have ridden on and through the last few days!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a dinner date! We met our friends John and Darlene who are travelling on their e-bikes through France to Barcelona. You can bet there was lots to talk about!  It was a terrific evening. So much fun. After a wonderful bottle of red wine, I will leave the journal here, with one last mention of Ramon and Sarah. They were the best. I know for sure that had we not been able to limp into Girona I would have had a ride. 

Tapas! The restaurants name was Txalaka. It was recommended by Antonio at the front desk. He knows his stuff.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
So much fun.
Heart 4 Comment 4
David MathersYou look so relaxed 👍
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Anne MathersWhat a happy outcome to a day of derailleur dilemmas. Please introduce your friends to us!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Anne MathersHi Anne - yes we had planned to introduce them to you. They are interested in touring in parts of Italy you have been to. I will point them to your journals. We will get together in Victoria when we get back for sure.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamCongratulations on persevering through another mechanical drama. You always seem to find a way through.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

Here is the Relive:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vLqeeMEdydq

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,491 km (926 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI’m so glad you had a happy ending.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenIt was stressful for both of us wondering about whether we would be able to ride out of Girona. We have a flight deadline now of course. Now that we are here and the bike is repaired we are relaxing over coffee and contemplating just taking the train from Girona to Barcelona. We can do some loop rides blessedly unloaded here. No decision yet!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago