Girona - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

October 22, 2023

Girona

The Bikes Stayed in the Bike Garage

A lazy day. We slept in and then enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. After 13 steady days of riding our big accomplishment today was a walk to the train station to take a photo of the schedule. We pretty much kicked back, relaxed and enjoyed this beautiful spot. 

On the way to the train station.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Getting ready for Halloween.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More reflections.
Heart 10 Comment 0
I wonder what you do if you drop a sock??
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were exploring the old town when who should we spot riding his bike?  John of course. Girona at its heart really is a small town. 

Just happenstance. No planning involved.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In front of a bakery.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Catching up on the news.
Heart 6 Comment 0
This is the most bike friendly city.
Heart 4 Comment 0
So many things to look at.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We just wandered.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The four of us met at La Fabrica for lunch. Great spot, great food and great company. More stories were told and John’s experience stopping to navigate above one of those bollards that lowers into the ground in the morning for delivery trucks and then automatically rises later in the day is one of the funniest I have ever heard. Imagine him standing there looking at his GPS when his bike suddenly started to levitate. All is well that ends well, although it did end with John on the ground. I wish you could hear him tell the story. He is a great storyteller and this was one for the ages. 

Just up that alley.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An amazing cycling hangout.
Heart 7 Comment 2
David MathersOwners Christian and Amber are Canadians who moved to Girona when he was racing professionally. He has since retired and they operate multiple businesses in town including The Service Course and Coffee Mafia!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo David MathersWell that explains the cinnamon buns and waffles, Keith’s favourite. We will have to seek out the other two today! Thanks for letting us know.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
I loved this sign.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThat’s great’
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Best decorated waffles ever.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Such a cool spot.
Heart 5 Comment 0
With amazing baked goods, savoury lunches and wonderful coffee.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Anne MathersAnd great staff! The decor makes you feel right at home doesn’t it?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenIt really does!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

The four of us found the finish line for the SGRAIL race and watched some of the athletes come in. It is a swim, gravel bike, trail run triathlon. A great concept. 

These guys were having a good time posing.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A pigeon posing too.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Anne MathersThe pigeon pose… one of my favorite yoga poses!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
The finish line.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then up and along the ancient wall, another visit to Eat Sleep Cycle and back over the Eiffel Bridge to the room for a nap. 

Heart 6 Comment 0
Up we go.
Heart 3 Comment 0
John and Darlene looking down.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Views from the wall.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Eiffel Bridge.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A painting class.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Post nap and general lazing about we got ourselves organized to meet John and Darlene for dinner. John and Keith had the inspired idea to go for gelato after that. The gelato portion sizes were huge and trust me, none of us went hungry. We were rained on on the way back. Imagine that!  

We have plans for an unloaded ride here tomorrow.  We take the train to Barcelona on Tuesday. I always look forward to home, but wish we had a few more days. And actually we do!  We have a couple of days in Barcelona and tomorrow here. Silly me. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesI only had strength to quickly scan your entry for Girona. The overlap between what you exactly saw and what we exactly saw is surprisingly not that great! Interesting.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Rachael AndersonI love Girona! I’m glad you have time to explore it.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago