Barcelona to Victoria - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

October 26, 2023

Barcelona to Victoria

Flying Home

Things went so smoothly this morning that we couldn’t believe it. I can be as superstitious as the next person and I was almost afraid to say to Keith how well things were going. 

We had everything packed up and ready to go and carried the bike boxes out of the room at 8:30 AM. They slid down that narrow spiral staircase with absolutely no difficulty. I had really thought it would be a struggle…it was as easy as could be. Imagine our surprise when we found the cab driver waiting for us!  He was early which was just great. He carried bags and boxes and was a real character. Of course there was that moment when he came within centimetres of rear ending the car in front of us, and it was definitely an exciting ride, but he was a hoot and he did get us there safely. 

Boxes in the lobby.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our intrepid driver.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Busy, busy, busy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are 50 000 people in Barcelona for a Pharmaceutical Conference and our driver was telling us how difficult cabs are to get.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once at the airport it was straightforward. We had extra time so felt very relaxed, which always helps. The bike boxes were dropped off within five minutes of our arrival, no wait at all. The longest line was at passport control. 

Rolling them in. People do give you a wide berth when you are wheeling this around.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The first glitch was in Montreal. Our flight is delayed an hour and a half. The good news?  The bikes are here. 

Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesYeah for airbags. Glad Keith's wallet made it too.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Rich FrasierHaha! I thought I was the only person who had an airtag in his wallet! My tendency to misplace my wallet makes it worth the occasional discomfort.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

So now we sit and wait and hope we aren’t delayed further. 

We are on the plane to Victoria. Hopefully we will roll out soon. We will be going to airplane mode shortly so I will post this now. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Steve Miller/GrampiesMontreal seems to always have delays. Hope your lift in to Victoria was able to get you. See you in November?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Betsy EvansWhat a wonderful trip you had! Thanks for the inspiration for future journeys. I have only just arrived in Rome. Now that I see all you experienced folks heading home, I’m wondering if I’ve left it too late in the season.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesLooking forward to it. Our oldest son pulled through. Got home before midnight … a long day.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Betsy EvansThanks Betsy … yes it was a great trip. Really looking forward to following along on your adventures in Italy in places we haven’t explored. Woke up this morning at home wondering who is going to prepare our breakfast. Ah … that would be me.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamI enjoyed following your latest poking foray. It was chock full of places I'd love to see someday. Thanks for taking us along.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Janice BranhamThanks Janice - glad you enjoyed it as we did yours. I was hoping our paths would cross … maybe next time. Safe travels!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago