The Night Before - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2023

The Night Before

And an Early Morning Coming Up

We are off to Spain in the morning, early in the morning.  We have packed those enormous boxes, we are hoping we haven’t forgotten anything important, and if we have it is reassuring to know we can probably buy it in Barcelona. The bikes went into our favourite bike spa, North Park Bikes, for a tune up and they are running smoothly. 

We always feel welcome in this busy spot. Such a great bike shop.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Our approach to cycle touring is to have a very loose plan about where we are actually going. We have read many CycleBlaze blogs and are grateful to Andersons, Maher-Wearys, Jacquie Gaudet, Rich Frasier and others for taking the time to record their tours. Reading about the Tarn in the Frasier’s current blog has us intrigued. In addition to that several happy coffee dates with Anne and David Mathers have helped us narrow down our objectives. The CN (Chief Navigator) has downloaded so many tracks. So many places to go, so little time. We are excited. 

We have also been distracted. Our daughter in law’s Mom, part of our much loved Australia family, is here to look after our house. Best house sitter ever. So when we perhaps should have been focused on getting ready we were busy having fun. 

Welcoming Christine to Canada with a West Coast dinner.
Heart 9 Comment 0

Then today we explored downtown and had a great time. It was such a gorgeous day and the city was looking absolutely stunning. We live in such a beautiful place I started wondering why we were leaving. 


Down in the inner harbour, when I should have been packing and cleaning. No regrets though!
Heart 5 Comment 4
Rachael AndersonYou’re right that you live in a wonderful place! You’re lucky you don’t have the homeless issues we have in Portland, Oregon.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesNever regret not cleaning - it's a thankless job at the best of times.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHi Steve - not in our household. I thank Kathleen all the time for doing most of the cleaning.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Rachael AndersonHi Rachael - we do live in a great place. We also have ever growing serous homeless issue in Victoria particularly on Pandora Ave a few blocks from downtown. We often ride through it on our way downtown on a fairly new dedicated bike route. Its an issue that needs to be addressed …so unfortunate for those folks.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Here we are with Midnight. Christine and I refer to her as our Granddog.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Carol DunlopNice LuLu bag
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen ClassenIt is, isn’t it!!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

It is now after 10 PM and I have set three alarms for 5:20 AM. The adventure is about to begin. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 13
Kathleen JonesIt’s 10:39 pm in California and I’m reading about the start of your adventure instead of packing for my own (non-bicycling) trip early tomorrow morning. So it goes. Bon voyage! Buen viaje!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Kathleen JonesSo where and what are you doing on your non cycling trip? I hope you have a great time!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Rachael AndersonI hope your flight goes well! Have a great time in Spain.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Tricia GrahamSo good to have another of your trips to follow. Have fun and stay safe
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesOkay you two, where and when does your trip end? We will be in Valencia in the first week of November. Any hope?
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Suzanne GibsonHave a wonderful trip! I look forward to your journal.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
David MathersGood morning Kathleen and Keith. Hope everything is going smoothly at YYJ and you have a great flight to Barcelona! Have a great bike tour!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Jacquie GaudetHave a great trip! I was in Victoria yesterday, on a day ride with a friend who’d never cycled there. It is a truly beautiful place on a sunny September day and the cycling infrastructure is fantastic.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Jacquie GaudetThanks Jacquie - yesterday was one of the warmest we have had for awhile. You picked a great day. We have a pretty nice place to ride … we are fortunate. The cycling infrastructure gets better and better.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHi Steve - we fly home Oct 26 out of Barcelona. There is a possibility our paths might converge as we head north and you head south though.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Keith ClassenTo David MathersThanks Dave - a very smooth check in and boarding. Sitting in plane waiting for takeoff. We thought of you this morning while loading our bikes into Brett’s truck. Thanks for the offer to take us to the airport!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Nancy CarsonReally looking forward to ‘our’ trip! Thanks so much for journaling😊
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo Rachael AndersonNow that covid is over [sic] we’re doing a friends and family tour of New England. We’re going to have soooo much fun.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago