Barcelona - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

October 25, 2023

Barcelona

A Milestone of Sorts

We began the day with a tour of Sagrada Familia. What a memorable way to spend our last full day in Barcelona. It was a fabulous experience. 

Beautiful, helpful and knowledgeable Monica. She is a delight.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were at the SF at 9 AM as requested on our tickets. Our guided tour was 9:30. We soon saw why they asked for such an early arrival. You go through airport type security, meaning off with belts, jackets, purses, spare change, even phones in the trays, and in my case, a quick wand search. I have no idea what triggered that. We lost count of how many times we had to show our tickets. We were with John and Darlene and all four of us were beginning to feel some impatience with the whole procedure. It is certainly a comment on the world today and unfortunately a necessity. But then suddenly we were in and it was breathtaking. Absolutely breathtaking. 

Such an impossible structure.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A prefect day to see it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our tour guide was excellent. We all have a much better appreciation of Gaudi the man as well as Gaudi the architect. He was an absolutely brilliant individual who was way ahead of his time. The things we learned!  I am going to be thinking about his philosophies for a long time. The museum in the lower level was very worthwhile as well. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
I was amused to see that Pope Benedict blessed the cathedral and declared it a “minor” basilica.
Heart 3 Comment 4
Scott AndersonIt’s all so amazing. It looks closer to completion than when we were there just two years ago.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Anne MathersExquisite, isn’t it? Thanks for the tour! You had the perfect day for it, with lots of light to cast rainbows of colour on the inside. As Scott said, it seems they’ve made more progress since we were there. They told us to come back in 10 years when it would be completed.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonThe final entrance is being designed. It is quite a process. It is an exquisite building.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Anne MathersI am trying to remember what the tour guide said about expected completion. The explanation of the process to choose a design for the final entrance was fascinating. It even involved the Vatican.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

Then a quick snack and coffee together and Keith and I headed back to our little room (which we are getting quite fond of) and worked a little more on organizational details for tomorrow. We are checked in, a van is ordered to take us to the airport and feeling as ready to go as we can be for tomorrow morning, we headed out again. 

Keith just told me we have walked 20 km today and it felt like it. There is so much to see here. We were given a loose plan by the wonderful Monica in reception and off we went. 


One of the things we love about this hotel is its location. We are in the center of everything.
Heart 3 Comment 0

One of the things Monica suggested was the Picasso Art Gallery. On arrival we debated whether it was worth the 15 Euro each, given there were so many other things to see. Once we discovered it was half price for seniors we decided to go for it. Imagine our surprise when it was free!  Keith asked if it was because it is his birthday, and the cashier laughed and said no, it is because it is Picasso’s birthday. That is how we discovered Pablo and Keith have a birthday in common. We really laughed, and felt very fortunate to see the exhibit. Pablo would have been 142 today. Keith just turned 75. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After that we explored the old town, the Jewish Quarter, the Cathedral and more.


Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked this guy’s style.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back to the room for a short rest and then off we went, back to see Saint Pau, the Sagrada Familia at night, and grab a quick bite to eat. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Recinte Modernista de St. Pau.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gaudi died after being hit by a tram. Monica at our hotel told us when the accident happened no one realized it was Gaudi at first. He dressed very shabbily and was mistaken for a homeless person.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The story of the construction of this Cathedral really is fascinating. We plan to do more reading about Gaudi once home.
Heart 3 Comment 0

This post has been a bit of a photo dump but it has been that kind of a day. The long trip home starts early tomorrow. We have sealed the boxes and are hoping for a smooth exit, which includes sliding those big boxes down two flights of narrow spiral stairs. Wish us luck!!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 14
David MathersThe perfect way to end your tour. The Segrada photos are fabulous. Safe travels home 🏡
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Jacquie GaudetFantastic photos! Now I’m trying un figure out if I can cram a side trip to Barcelona into one of my two (I hope!) trips next year.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Scott AndersonGreat tour! You sure packed in a lot on this one. Have a safe trip home. This is departure week, apparently. You, the Fenwicks and ourselves are all flying home within a day or two of each other. Our flight for Frankfurt leaves in an hour.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Angela NaefHappy Birthday to Keith! I loved following along, thank you for sharing your trip!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Angela NaefThanks Angela - it’s certainly one I will remember … glad you enjoyed following along.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Anne MathersThis has been one heck of a fantastic tour. I have so enjoyed following along and look forward to seeing you both soon. Safe travels back home, where it’s sunny but considerably cooler than Barcelona.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenTo David MathersThanks Dave - see you in Vic.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Jacquie GaudetHi Jacquie - if you do suggest you make it mid week. There were a couple big conventions this week (+/- 50,000 p) so hotel rates were jacked up probably double. The city was humming! Lots of great bike lanes that criss cross through the city - very busy so must be alert but a good way to get around the city. Our taxi driver came very close to rear ending someone on the way to the airport. Even walking you have to be very alert with humans flying by in various modes of transport. We had a modest hotel but in a great location so we could walk to all the major attractions. Allow at least 2 full days. The Sagrada Familia was probably the most amazing man-made structure I have ever seen. You would love it. At the airport waiting for our flight.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Anne MathersYes! This tour has been a great one. Sitting at the airport now waiting for our flight. Turn up the temperature at home so we can easily adjust. Looking forward to getting together.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Scott AndersonHi Scott - yes it was a good one. You guys had a great one as well. Have a great flight home. Sitting as airport now. They say allow 4 hours but we were through security 1.5 hours after we left hotel. Everything went so smooth so now it’s just sit and wait.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonWe are onboard and on time. That seems a rarity these days!!! Hope you are the same and all goes well in Portland.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesSee you at Fol Epi! Great shots again!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesOr Drumroaster!!!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenEither, or both, works for us. Sequentially, of course.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago