Girona to Barcelona - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

October 24, 2023

Girona to Barcelona

Bikes, Trains and Boxes

We said goodbye to Girona and cycled the few km to the train station. It couldn’t have been simpler. The tracks ran a hundred meters behind our hotel and there was a bike lane underneath them all the way to the station. Ticket purchase was easy and we were relaxing on the platform in no time. 

No navigation necessary.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had just settled in who should pop out of the elevator?  John and Darlene!  This was unplanned, they were to be catching a later train, but arrived a little earlier than anticipated. 

Bikes and trains. I am making friends with the adorable baby across the aisle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Darlene and Keith’s bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The train was a middle distance one with one of those speed read outs. We travelled at between 170 and 174 kph for the trip. Not a high speed train by any means, but it was quick with no changes and we were at Barcelona Sants in no time. It is a beautiful modern station. 

Beautiful station.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of room for lots of people.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once in Barcelona things went more smoothly than we could have hoped. We had bike lanes all the way to the hotel. It was a bit nervy!  There was so much going on and so much to look at. We were able to check into our room immediately and collect the boxes. The bikes were packed, our stuff was sorted and we were ready to explore more of Barcelona. 

Boxes are about to take up all extra space.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It may be tiny, but it is a beautiful room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Organization underway.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraSue and I also use those MEC packing cubes. We love em.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Patrick O'HaraI love them. As easy as opening drawers at home. Keith isn’t convinced yet, he is still in the Ziplock bag era.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Man at work.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our front desk person sat us down and gave us an orientation and history lesson. She was so good. We had a much better understanding of how the city developed and grew. I suspect she may have been a tour guide at some point. Off we went and walked and walked and walked. The architecture here is stunning and the buildings beautiful as so many others have documented. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Commuters.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We met John and Darlene for dinner and gelato and a night time look at La Rambla. By the time we were back in the room I didn’t have the energy left to journal!  It was a full day. That is why this post is so late. 

La Rambla at night.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 7 km (4 miles)
Total: 1,543 km (958 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesSuper building photos!

We are steaming on to Tarragona, but I am reading your post on a bench outside a supermercado.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Jane KyleCheck WhatsApp for a special message:)
🍰🎂🎉 to the CN
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Janice BranhamYou two can really pack a lot into a day. Glad you got to see Barcelona.such a fun city.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago