Girona Loop - Poking Around Europe 8.0 - CycleBlaze

October 23, 2023

Girona Loop

Canet d’Adri Loop

Heart 1 Comment 0

After another delicious breakfast at the Hotel Gran Ultonia we did the Canet d’Adri loop out of Girona today. It was a terrific ride and we added a few kilometres to have the all important coffee and pastries in the middle. John joined us which just added to the pleasure. 

We chose the ride from an online list of the top ten rides out of Girona. Eat Sleep Cycle recommended it and it did not disappoint. The website does a better description than I can, so here you go. 

Louise from Eat Sleep Cycle says “This route is a short and sweet loop exploring idyllic country lanes to the west of Girona.”

“The route may be short but it also features steep climbs and narrow, technical descents – so it’s perfect for more experienced riders looking for a quick spin which packs a punch.”

“For those looking to take their time there are a couple of points along the route to stop for refreshments – look out for La Barraca de Can Xinet at 12km or Cal Sabater at 17km in the village of Canet d’Adri. Also look out for stunning views of Girona city and of Rocacorba.” 

That made my job easy tonight!

Just starting out here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Quiet roads and the ride is 100% paved.
Heart 5 Comment 0
These guys were working hard building a massive rock wall.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We had brilliant weather. A high of 27°C.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Almost all the buildings we passed, new, old and and in between were stone.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Old door.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lovely house with an old bike and other random stuff decorating the place.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Views.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Unharvested grapes.
Heart 4 Comment 0
An old church.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were able to go through one open door and wound up in the cemetery. This door was locked.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Where did you disappear to Keith?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Discussing a great ride.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On our way back.
Heart 6 Comment 0
This chimney intrigued us coming into town.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This is where the chimney was. I googled once back at the hotel. Big mistake on our part. We should have investigated further. A fantastic bike shop. Take a look on Google.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back in town. Gelato coming up. Not the most nutritious lunch but we sure enjoyed it.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGelato is a great addition to lunch but I hope you had more to eat. I have been very successful finding ice cream in Valencia but I got lucky on my walk and found a great place with Pistachio gelato, yummy!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith made this from Strava.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once back in the heart of town we rewarded ourselves with that gelato and I reminded myself that once back home I will need to cut back on the sumptuous breakfasts, pastries and ice cream. Either that or keep biking four or five hours a day!

We rode with John to the Air B and B they are staying in, and it was fun to see their digs. He and Darlene then headed up Els Angels while Keith and I relaxed in our room. In our defence, we have done it and we don’t have e-bikes!

This was up a bizarrely steep hill but we made it.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Riding unloaded bikes was a real treat. After the ice cream I went to grab my bike from where it was leaning and nearly threw it over my shoulder as we are so accustomed to the weight of the bags. It was quite funny. We both felt like we danced up the hills today. 

We are about to head out to dinner. I always find these last few days so bittersweet. I am looking forward to home but it is so hard to leave all this behind. The weather too. It will be a bit of an adjustment!

Dinner done and a fabulous time. We are off to Barcelona by train in the morning. Tomorrow will be primarily a day of organization in our teeny tiny room and then one last sightseeing day after that. We have our Sagrada Familia tickets ready to go. 

Here is the Relive:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vwq1rZrRQBv

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 1,536 km (954 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe are hoping the lack of a post yesterday is because you had so much fun that you needed a rest at the end of the day?
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Keith ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesGood assumption. Out for dinner with friends last night and then a walk about through the masses took up the evening. Post coming shortly.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith ClassenOh, you pair of gadabouts!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago