To Dijon - Skipping About the Continent - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2022

To Dijon

Our group of five Cycle Blazers gathered at Beaune's Porte Saint-Nicolas at nine am for today’s ride through the vineyards of the Côte-de-Nuits to Dijon. After making sure the route was loaded into the various navigation devices, we headed north, aided by a nice little tailwind. The plan was for each to ride their own style, knowing that at various times we may fall back, get ahead, or ride together. It worked wonderfully, as we all rode at a relatively similar pace and naturally stayed fairly close together.

As the day started, we cycled through a landscape of barley and wheat, but vineyards predominated after we skirted Nuits-Saint-Georges and progressed northward. After so many miles of solo cycling, I was thrilled to be sharing the experience with our small group. I kept trying to get photos of the others on their bikes, but I definitely need some practice in setting up and executing action shots.

Team Anderson arriving at Porte Saint-Nicolas
Heart 6 Comment 0
Final routing and tracking details
Heart 6 Comment 0
Janos waits patiently
Heart 6 Comment 0
On the outskirts of Beaune
Heart 5 Comment 0
Three out of four isn't bad
Heart 6 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesWell, someone has to take the picture dontcha think?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Image not found :(
There he goes
Heart 4 Comment 0
Church in Corgoloin
Heart 4 Comment 0
Janos with a high five
Heart 5 Comment 0
Biking through barley. The cliffs of the Côte de Haute Beaune are visible in the distance
Heart 4 Comment 0
A little break in the action in Premeaux-Prissey.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Bearded wheat, perhaps
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith KleinHi,
Barley. The head in the bottom of the frame only shows two seed rows . This is old fashioned barley as required by the German Reinheitsgebaut (sp.) for beer making, where it will no doubt be shipped like 90 percent of all French barley.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Along the way to Gevrey-Chambertin
Heart 6 Comment 0
Along the way to Gevrey-Chambertin
Heart 6 Comment 0
The vineyards in the northern region of the Côte de Nuits
Heart 5 Comment 0

The highlight of the day was our visit with Susan and Keith Klein at their home in Gevrey-Chambertin, south of Dijon. We arrived about 11:30, a little hot and ready for the elevenses treats that Susan had graciously promised to provide. After the obligatory group photos, we adjourned indoors - a wonderful and comfortable space filled with the artistic talents of both Susan and Keith. The staircase was lined with some of Susan’s striking photographs, and she and Suzanne were immediately in deep conversation about photography. I commented on their impressive collection of Mission/Stickley furniture, a style of furniture that populates my house. I was astounded when Keith informed us that he had made each of the pieces – he’s been avid woodworker for the last forty years and he gave us a brief peak into his workshop before Susan called us out to the back patio for our late morning nourishment. What a spread – nuts, all sorts of dried and fresh fruit including strawberries and cherries, The best was Susan’s home-made Gougères, a chou pastry cheese puff. It was a relaxed and thoroughly enjoyable visit that was over much too soon. We had to move on before the day got too hot.

Six Cycle Blazers in Burgundy
Heart 10 Comment 0
The welcoming abode of Susan and Keith
Heart 6 Comment 3
Kathleen JonesThat’s gorgeous furniture, Keith.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith KleinTo Kathleen JonesHi Kathleen,
I didn’t see your comment until just now, so please forgive my tardiness in returning my thank yous. It began as a hobby, and has become my major pastime when I’m off my bike now that I’m retired. I’ve been off the bike for almost a year because my old »friend » cancer has decided to come back. It’s taken more than a year to achieve control, and it’s only been two days since I’ve finally felt good enough to get back in the shop. And who knows? Maybe cycling is is the near future. In the meantime I follow others adventures, and occasionally host a passing cyclist or two.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterTo Keith KleinHi Keith - It's so wonderful to hear that you are feeling better and getting back in your shop. I hope that things continue to stay under control.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith Klein, a man of many talents
Heart 8 Comment 3
Keith Adams Building furniture in a space that size (or is there more, not shown?) is quite a feat. I know from my own small shop!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith KleinTo Keith AdamsHi Keith ( catchy name!),
Yes that’s about all the space I have plus about a meter and a half behind the camera. When we lived in the states my shop was even smaller, but I did have a pool table in the rec-room to do assembly on!
Sorry this reply took so long. I got the journal meter hours after it was written, being in the same time zone and all.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Keith KleinWow, I'm impressed. My shop is in the 9 by 20 foot dead space beneath our carport; two feet of the width is consumed by a retaining wall turned into work (junk storage) surface, so the floor is only 7 feet wide.

The Stickley pieces in the photo above your portrait are your work, yes? Beautiful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Elevenses among friends
Heart 7 Comment 0
Thank you Susan and Keith
Heart 9 Comment 0

We didn’t linger on the way to Dijon, only ten miles distant. There was a final section through the vineyards and then we were making our way into the city proper – navigating traffic lights, bike lanes and tramways. It was both logical and crazy – with scooters, cyclists and pedestrians all flying about, ignoring the clearly marked paths and traffic signals. We reached our hotel about two-thirty, stowed our bikes, and we all disappeared into our respective tiny rooms until reconvening for dinner, an adequate meal of salads and/or pasta (Rachael had her usual, salmon). But the food was secondary to the enjoyment of being in each other’s company. It was a perfect start to our mini-group tour, and I’m looking forward to more.

Just another château in a Burgundy vineyard
Heart 9 Comment 0
Scott - not just another cyclist in a Burgundy vineyard
Heart 8 Comment 0
Church in Morey-St. Denis
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith KleinI think you mean Marsannay-la-Cote. Morley is south from Gevrey.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Oops - we missed the turn
Heart 5 Comment 0
Approaching Dijon
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 1,014 miles (1,632 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rachael AndersonGreat photos and narrative!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bob DistelbergLooks like you all are having a wonderful time!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamSounds a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing it
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesNice to get the three different perspectives. So Rashomon, eh? Enjoying following along immensely.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago