Dijon Loop Ride - Skipping About the Continent - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2022

Dijon Loop Ride

Decisions, decisions – what to do with a day off in Dijon? Take in the city sights and perhaps a museum? Go for a hike? How about a bike ride? In the end, Suzanne and Janos took in the sights of Dijon while Scott, Rachael and I opted for a loop ride that Scott had mapped out, a little north and west of the city. Thankfully, our way out of town was a much less chaotic than our way in yesterday, along side streets and through neighborhoods until we reached the outskirts of town and found ourselves on a dedicated bike path. It was a glorious day, clear blue sky with wisps of clouds, and a bit cooler than the last few days.

Rachael got a bit ahead as Scott and I stopped for pictures, circling back just before the end of the bike trail to tell us not to miss a side road detour just up ahead. And the raison d’être for the detour? Poppies! Coquelicots! Fields of them, a carpet of red. A near Wizard of Oz experience.

Suzanne sends us off from on high. If you look closely, you'll spot four Cycle Blazers in the photo below - five if you count the two of Rachael.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barley fields and blue sky
Heart 1 Comment 0
Onto the bike path
Heart 1 Comment 0
Team Anderson on the down slope
Heart 1 Comment 0
Poppies! Coquelicots!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Greens and Red
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rachael on the hunt for more poppy fields
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Time to move on
Heart 3 Comment 0

After our fill of poppies, we left the bike path and began a gentle climb in the woods, passing numerous road cyclists on the way to Val Suzon. The climb continued past Val Suzon, before looping back along open fields to Pasques, where we found a bench in the shade for a bit of lunch, each marveling at the quality of the day and the ride. Both spectacular! But the day kept getting better – starting with a long downhill to Plombières-lès-Dijon. It was my kind of downhill – dropping a little less than 1000 ft over five miles. There were two switchbacks, but it was mostly wide angle turns that offered a good view of the road ahead, meaning less braking and more fun.

Rachael on the way to Val Suzon
Heart 2 Comment 0
My Garmin says Scott is 1.5 miles back
Heart 2 Comment 0
Oh! There is is now - let's see what Garmin says
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Val Suzon
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Val Suzon
Heart 4 Comment 0
The climb continues past Val Suzon
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back as we're looping back
Heart 4 Comment 0
It's almost lunch time in Pasques
Heart 7 Comment 0
Scott and Rachael coming into Pasques
Heart 4 Comment 0
Phone booth water station
Heart 5 Comment 0
Approaching the turn and descent toward Plombières-lès-Dijontoward
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rachael on the way down
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scott on her heels
Heart 1 Comment 0

We spent quite a bit of time idling in Plombières-lès-Dijon, admiring the church’s glass-tiled roof and staring into the Ouche River - sometimes looking for frogs, other times just looking, an unfocused gaze of a contented cyclist. After determining that there was no ice cream for sale Plombières-lès-Dijon, we moved on,  A dedicated bike path took us along the Quai des Carrières Blanches and Lac Kir before depositing us at a busy corner we all recognized from yesterday. We tried to circumvent the yesterday’s chaos using an alternate route but found ourselves in a different kind of chaos – one way streets and tourists on foot.

The glass-tiled room fo Plombières-lès-Dijon
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Plombières-lès-Dijon
Heart 2 Comment 0
Vivien George In Plombières-lès-Dijon
Heart 2 Comment 0
Thoughts, deep thoughts
Heart 2 Comment 0
Preening
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWonderful shot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Cooling
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wading
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was a fabulous ride - thanks Scott!
Heart 4 Comment 0

Garmin finally led us back to the hotel where we all rested until our seven o’clock dinner reservation at one of Dijon’s highly rated restaurants. The meal did not live up to expectations – either in the quality of the food or what was actually served. Scott was quite surprised when a plate kidneys was set in front of him rather than the lamb he thought he’d ordered. But as he has no sense of taste or smell he gamely plowed ahead, vowing to use his finger and not his voice when ordering in the future. Once again, we delighted in being in each other’s company and entertained ourselves with stories of trains, predicaments, and the kindness of strangers. Another fine day.

Caption this
Heart 0 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesUm …

Little did they know that behind them to their right there was …
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 1,053 miles (1,695 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0