On the road again - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

February 2, 2022

On the road again

Mesa, AZ to Scott, LA

Whew! We've finally landed somewhere long enough that I can update the journal. All I have to report is that the past 3 days were nothing but very long tiring drive days as we made our way across first New Mexico, then Texas and finally part of Louisiana. A lot of miles through many different parts of the country. 

Why are we rushing you may ask? Well, there is an arctic cold front headed straight for us and we wanted to stay out of areas that might have freezing temps with ice on the roads. 

The plan had to been for a pause in Fort Davis, TX to bike some and attend a star party at the McDonald observatory. But that's a cold spot so no go. Time to rethink our overnights as we head for Florida!

We did stay with 2 Harvest Hosts along our way. One was a winery in Deming, NM and the other a winery near San Antonio, TX. Other than just a place to park for the night, they didn't offer any other amenities. We did purchase some wine from both places as a way to say thank you for being a host. 

We ended up pushing it to near Lafayette, LA where we're staying at a KOA for an extra night. More to take a breather, go to a grocery store and maybe do a bike ride if the weather cooperates. Rain is coming tonight and into tomorrow.

Harvest Host #1 was the LesCombes Winery in Deming, NM. They had some really good sweet fruit wines plus lots of other varieties!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Early morning in Deming, NM.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found a road runner! This large sculpture was at the rest area near Las Cruces, NM.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I guess every state has to have one of these distinctive looking hills! The last one we saw was in Hurricane, Utah. This was somewhere in west Texas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If you're ever in Texas you HAVE to stop at a Buc-ee's convenience store. It's like nothing you've ever seen before and is absolutely HUGE - with all types of the usual c-store stuff, along with foods cooked to order, clothing, souvenir items, and all kinds of things for your home. I think I counted 50 gas pumps outside! Even the bathrooms are incredible.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After a 12 hour drive, we arrived at our next Harvest Host - the Medina River Winery. It was located in Castroville, just west of San Antonio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unfortunately the building you see here isn't actually the winery. It appeared that we parked in the wrong spot! This is a restaurant. But in our defense, it was nearly 8:30 pm, pitch black outside and there weren't any signs directing us on where to camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another 8 hour drive took us into Louisiana where we landed at the KOA outside of Lafayette. This morning we awoke to thick fog and I could barely see across their little lake. I was so intrigued with the reflections of this building and canoe in the water that I missed seeing the fishing bobber on the tree!
Heart 2 Comment 0
I'm not sure what type of ducks these are? With the fog and the fact that they were a ways away from me, I wasn't able to get a clear shot.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Scott AndersonPied billed grebe, I think.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettThanks, I thought it might be a grebe of some type.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0