It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

February 8, 2022

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing

Tallahassee dance day #2

Another dreary, gray day here in the South - aren't they supposed to be warmer in Florida?! It's been in the 30's at night and barely into the 50's during the day. I looked at the Mesa, AZ 10 day forecast and was bummed to see that it was supposed to be in the 70's to 80's with lows in the 50's. Sheesh - we sure picked the wrong part of the country to go this winter!

We spent literally all day on our computers, updating the journal and making some major changes to our time in Florida. That's partly because we've found some good dance venues that are finally open and when when planned this trip last year, we also had a kayak so were making camping stops in places that we thought we could paddle. Since we got rid of the boat, we're now focusing more on biking and dancing. 

At the dance last night, we met some people that were part of the Tallahassee USA Dance chapter. They gave us lots of information and tips on locating dances throughout Florida. Others offered suggestions on where to dance both here, Georgia and South Carolina. 

So after hours of brain damage, we finally were able to make new reservations, cancel others and adjust our weeks that will hopefully make more sense for us while here in the South. 

After lunch, we went over to Walmart to pick up some groceries. I wanted to buy a Mardi Gras t-shirt that I'd seen for sale in the Mississippi Walmart, but surprisingly they had NO Mardi Gras clothing! What's up with that?! Surely they celebrate Mardi Gras in this area?! Weird.

After dinner, we headed back the the American Legion to dance to the Tallahassee Swing Band. We'd heard them play 5 years ago when we last toured through here and were happy to see them back performing here. 

What a GREAT band! The musicians are all part of the music department at Florida State University and were very good. Even the woman singing was quite talented. This band has been playing at the Legion since the 1970's.

Quite of few people were those we had met last night so we enjoyed visiting between dances. Although it was hard to talk at times as the band was quite loud which is typical with a big band. 

We had a good time and probably stayed later than we should have, but we need to be up early tomorrow as we're going to Gainesville. However, one of the big changes we made was to come back to Tallahassee next month and spend about 10 days - going to several dances and exploring some bike routes we've found. 

Hopefully it will be a bit warmer in March! One of the couple we met last night said that their azaleas were blooming. It's so strange to think of flowers blooming with these cold temps. But I'm waiting for the first magnolia flowers to appear:)

The Tallahassee Big Band was an awesome group!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0