On to the Sunshine State - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

February 7, 2022

On to the Sunshine State

Gulfport, MS to Tallahassee, FL

Today we're packing up again and continuing our drive to Florida where we'll first stop briefly in Tallahassee for a couple of nights. 

It was a another cold dreary day as we packed up. The gray skies blended into the gray ocean, making for a blurry water line. We managed to get out the door by 9 and headed for the interstate where we turned east. 

The states went quickly - the rest of Mississippi, then Alabama and finally Florida. Once we got over the final border, the rain started up and continued all the way to Tallahassee. Wonderful, just what we needed - a wet hookup at our new campground.

Except for tall stands of pines on either side of us, there wasn't much to see along the highway. When we drove through Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, there were lots of billboards to look at, but it seemed that Florida didn't allow them until you got closer to a city. So we just talked about our upcoming travel the next month and reminisced about our previous bike tours through this part of the state. 

There was one more time change as we passed into the Eastern time zone and by 4:30 were pulling into the Tallahassee RV Park. Fortunately the rain stopped by this time, and allowed us a brief dry window to unload the bikes and hookup Tango. We managed to get everything outside under cover before it started up again. It does look like better weather for the rest of the week.

We had time for a quick dinner before heading to the Tallahassee American Legion for a dance. Tonight was social hosted by the local USA Dance chapter. There were only a few people in attendance and they had recorded music but we had a good time even though we were tired from our travel day. 

We've danced at this hall on a previous bike tour, and were pleased to see that it was open again and much as we had remembered with a large wood floor. Tomorrow night we return to dance to the music of the Tallahassee Swing Band. Should be fun!

This was the excitement in the park this morning - the big RV pictured had a dead engine so the owner had to get a tow truck large enough to pull it to a repair shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road we to took in Gulfport north to the interstate had a nice bike lane on it which is unusual for this area. It would have been a decent route if you didn't mind heavy traffic. At least it might have worked until you hit this construction spot over a waterway where the drawbridge was up!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0