Can you say COLD?! - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

February 9, 2022

Can you say COLD?!

Tallahassee to Gainesville, FL

It was a clear morning, but in the low 30's when I got up. Nearly freezing out! 

As we only had a short drive today, we took our time packing up. Don would go outside and put some stuff away, then come back inside to warm up before going back out. We were finally ready to roll by 10.

By 1:30 we were pulling into our next camp spot - Kate's Fish Camp. Hmmm - I wasn't too sure about this campground! It looked pretty rough from what I could see. Very small with only 7 sites that were scattered among the trees next to a small river/swamp. 

The cyprus trees by the water were dripping with Spanish moss which was very scenic but I wasn't happy when I saw the bathroom/shower facility. There was only one toilet/sink with an outdoor shower. Both were pretty dirty. Don said he was told to clean out the shower after we used it, but since the basin was already covered with leaves, I saw no need to do that! Luckily I wear clogs when I shower.

I thought about asking Don to move us somewhere else, but knew that would likely be impossible as all of the campgrounds we've found are full.

Our site had a huge mound in the middle of it but eventually Don was able to get us fairly level. We got set up and then I went to work giving our floor a good cleaning. Both of us were exhausted by then and Don barely enough energy to cook dinner - a pizza - in honor of National Pizza Day! 

I wanted to watch more Olympics, but we don't get many TV channels here an none with any Olympics. At least the internet is ok and we are right across the road from the Gainesville/Hawthorne Trail - a paved bike route that we've done when we did the Southern Tier. We plan to do a couple of rides while we're here. 

The forecast is for some warmer temps and we're going to a Valentine's dance on Friday night. Then we leave on Sunday. So I'll put up with the less than ideal camping for a few days. Guess it's all an adventure!

The rv park in Tallahassee was nestled among these beautiful pines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I don't know what type of pines they were but they were quite tall.
Heart 1 Comment 2
marilyn swettHmmm - maybe. I sure don't know the pine species in the South.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
I even found the elusive black-headed spotted woodpecker!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The vegetation was quite a bit different at Kate's Fish Camp near Gainesville.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And we spotted Anhingas! Notice the long straight beak and long snake-like neck which isn't that visible in this picture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This evening we walked under the highway bridge to the bike trail and saw lots of these nests. Maybe for swallows?
Heart 0 Comment 4
Bill Shaneyfelt Mud dauber wasp nests. They lay eggs there, and then stuff it with spiders, etc. they paralyze with a sting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_dauber
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltAre you sure? I’m thinking cannoli shells. Is there an Italian deli nearby?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Scott AndersonHa! Didn't know wasps made cannoli shells... :-)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
marilyn swettInteresting! Sure glad there weren't any wasps around when we were there as there sure were a LOT of nests.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0