Into the Saguaro forest - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

December 2, 2021

Into the Saguaro forest

Holbrook, AZ to Phoenix, AZ

Do you consider this as breakfast in bed?! Hey.....it worked!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We slept well last night as we were both so tired but were up before dawn again. I managed to move around the bikes to make breakfast, and Don placed the table between the beds so we could sit down and eat.

Back on the road as the sun rose, we continued our drive west until we reached Winslow. At that point, we had several options of routes that would take us to Phoenix and chose the one going through Payson as we had never been in that part of the state before. 

As we climbed in elevation onto the Mogolon Plateau, we encountered snow that had fallen last night. The road was mostly clear but there were some icy spots. I was glad that Don was driving! But he took it slow and we had no problems. This did look like a scenic area and one that we need to explore at another time of year. 

By noon, as we dropped down toward the Phoenix valley and saw our first saguaros. Yeah! That really perked me up! But it was sad to see such a large area where a wildfire had swept through the desert, burning up many of these majestic giants. 

Perhaps this is where volunteers were cutting off still live arms and taking them to a nursery to be rooted. The new babies will be replanted back into the this desert where they will eventually regrow.

It didn't take long to negotiate the heavy traffic to the Apache Junction KOA where Don had been able secure a site for several days. This part of the year is peak Snowbird season and many of the RV parks down here don't allow campers that only stay for a short time.

I was amazed when we pulled into our spot - it was the largest one here and we have our own grill on a brick patio with a nice patio table and chairs. It's a bit pricey but that's the way it is.

The afternoon was spent setting up our outdoor stuff and cleaning out the trailer. The floor was so filthy that it took awhile to get it clean. 

After a quick dinner, we got dressed for our evening's entertainment. One of the reasons we pushed so hard to get to Phoenix early was to attend a couple of New Year's Eve dances since we were missing the ones at home. 

Tonight we went back to the Las Palmas Grand community to go to their pre-New Year's Eve dance. They had a great big band playing, and we enjoyed the music and dancing. But we didn't stay too late as we want to save our feet for another dance tomorrow night.

We ran into a snowy road on the way to Payson.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0