Heading south once again - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

December 1, 2021

Heading south once again

Denver, CO to Holbrook, AZ

Just a tad crowded in the trailer!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were up before dawn this morning in anticipation of a very long drive today. After a quick breakfast, we packed up the final items, locked the door and finally were on the road by 7:00. Not as early as we would have liked.

Our route followed I-25 south into New Mexico where we had to contend with very strong cross winds. Several RV's had pulled off to the side of the highway but Tango didn't have any problems. I was driving at the time and while it wasn't relaxing, managed to keep us between the white lines. 

We had packed plenty of lunch and snacks, so other than bathroom and gas stops, we drove straight through to Albuquerque where we turned west onto I-40. We had biked this section a few years ago as it's part of Route 66, so there was much that was familiar. 

In Grants we stopped at the Walmart to pick up a sandwich and a premade salad for dinner on the go. We knew that we would be arriving at our campground in the dark and that we wouldn't have the energy to cook anything in the trailer. Not that there was much room to do that.

By 7:30 we had made it to Holbrook, AZ and found our site at the KOA. Fortunately it was a pull-through as neither of us wanted to deal with trying to back in when it was dark. 

We didn't bother to move the bikes outside or even unhitch the truck because we were planning to leave early tomorrow morning. Don cleared off the bed, turned on the furnace and we both crashed. It had been a 12 hour drive - our longest yet and not one we cared to do again! 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0