Back to the Keystone state - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2022

Back to the Keystone state

Sampson State Park, NY to South Shore Winery, PA

This morning we finished a final packing and said our goodbyes to the rest of the Airstream group. We hope to see them again at another rally somewhere. 

By 10 we were on the road and after a quick stop at the dump station to drain our sewage tanks, we started our drive to the west. We continued past several more of the finger lakes and the historic town of Geneva which looked interesting. This is an area that we both want to return to in the future. Maybe stay near another lake and find more great wine!

It took several hours to make it out of New York but finally we crossed the border in Pennsylvania where we could see Lake Erie through the trees. There were many acres of grape vines along our route today and it was curious that they didn't seem to be connected to any particular winery. Later we found out that Welch's had a large plant in NE Pennsylvania, and that most of these grapes were concord and grown for them. 

By 4, we rolled up to our Harvest Host for the night - at the South Shore Winery. After settling into a spot, we went in to have a tasting of their wines. They had some nice sweet ones and of course, we bought a couple of bottles to take home! 

This winery was established over 150 years ago and was the first commercial winery in Erie County. We even did the tasting in their Civil War era wine cellar.

The rest of the evening was very quiet as we watched the sunset over the vines. 

One last view of Seneca Lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wine store and tasting room were located in the original stone wine cellar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pondering her choices!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0