Where's Elvis? - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2022

Where's Elvis?

New York fun day

Today is our final day in New York and the last day of the rally. It was also a packing up day in order to be ready to travel tomorrow. We spent the morning loading a few things into the truck and then went over to visit a WWII museum that was located within the park. 

Sampson State Park used to be a WWII Naval training base and later became an Air Force base complete with airfield. The museum was quite interesting and had lots of pictures showing all of the buildings and soldiers trained here. Not much remains now.

After lunch, we went to find some more fun. I had located another winery nearby that looked like it made the kinds of wine we liked,  so we headed there first. It was called the Idol Ridge Winery.

We selected 2 flights of different sweeter wines and found several that were pretty good. We ended up buying ANOTHER case of wine!! Plus some fun socks for me and a new metal sign for camp. Boy, this wine shopping can be expensive! 

Next on our agenda was a goat farm that had cheese tastings. They made both goat and cow cheese. We sat down on their patio and enjoyed some live Irish music while we sampled their products. While all of the cheese was good, we liked the goat cheese the best so came home with a couple of varieties. 

After the tasting, we visited the baby goats (they have goat yoga here). Then we returned to the state park just in time for happy hour followed by an Elvis movie. 

It had been a fun time here in New York but tomorrow we move on. 

One of the huge buildings on the Navy base. It was a meeting hall for thousands of men at one end and had a swimming pool at the other. It no longer exists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The building that housed the museum used to be the original brig and still had these jail cells. That guy looked awfully happy to be behind those bars!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elvis in the flesh visited us at the rally!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rally gathering area at the state park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0