Day 33: Tioga to Stanley - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2021

Day 33: Tioga to Stanley

First flat tire plus one

“I hear a tic tic,” Rachel said coming to a stop near Patrick, yesterday 10 miles from Tioga. “There it is,” Patrick says, seeing one of the notorious wires from shredded truck tires. The wire penetrated the rubber, Patrick pulled it out and we continue to ride. This morning as we are ready to roll at 6am, Rachel’s front tire is flat. It had been a slow leak. Our first flat this trip.

The BlackGold Motel has a nice breakfast spread, and the start it early at 5am. So we eat and head out. First we ride the 4 miles back to Highway 2 and enjoy a wide shoulder once again. The long rolling hills continue and we know the profile for today shows a big dip and climb in the middle. Hoping the wind doesn’t pick up, so far so good. Farmland and oil rigs continue. And lots of abandoned buildings and old houses.

“They each decided on their own if I was a threat,” Patrick says about 3 prairie dogs perch at the edge of the road. “The first one took off with a loud chirp. Instead of bolting at that the second one thought about it for a second longer and then took off. The third one thought about it for another second, crouched and finally decided to jump into the grass,” he added.

The dip to White Earth River was a long slow decline that we finally could coast without pedalling, we stop at the bridge for a food break before the climb out. The map shows a gas station in Ross, so we are hoping for a convenience store for a cold drink, only to see that there is not much to this town. We take a break all the same. The road is flattening somewhat, and we finally see the water tower for Stanley, still at least 5 miles away.

We reach WS host Jim at around 10am and get a warm welcome. After a shower, settle in and a visit, he takes us to the supermarket for lunch supplies, and beer that is only sold in liquor stores. Driving back to his place he shows us the town. On the north side, there’s a nice park for tent camping. Jim is helping organize the 4th of July parade that’s on for tomorrow. After returning from the store, Patrick noticed he has flat rear tire.

We are happy to be out of the wind, inside relaxing, and taking a rest day tomorrow.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rich FrasierWhy does this picture make me think of Andrew Wyeth? Great atmosphere!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensI can see that! Thanks
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Storms threaten
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Andrea BrownI love the virga shots that you can get out on the plains.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a gorgeous photo!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
"I love GPS"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 1,364 miles (2,195 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonGreat photos today. Such an evocative landscape.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago