Day 34: Rest day in Stanley - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2021

Day 34: Rest day in Stanley

Small town USA celebrates the 4th of July

The Fourth of July parade route is lined with people who have brought their own chairs to wait. The kids have bags waiting to collect the candy thrown from vehicles. Small town USA celebrates the holiday.

First, a police car followed by 4 flag bearers, people standing with hand over heart as the flag passes. A small float representing the fallen military, similar to Iwo Jima statue is next. This is followed by 12 fire trucks beginning with a couple antique trucks and then a lone ambulance. Kids are at the ready with bags for the candy that is tossed from the vehicles. There are a couple of floats with just people sitting in chairs on the bed of a truck; a Nichols family reunion with matching green shirts, a 20 year and a 50 year High School Graduation anniversary group. People in the parade wave to people they know watching the parade. Kids continue to scramble for the candy. A man walks around the crowd giving the crowd vanilla or chocolate ice cream cups with a spoon.  The bulk of the parade is farm equipment followed by a couple dozen people on horses, with one lone “blue lives matter” flag. Lots of vintage cars. There was no marching band, and no cheers from the crowd, and some “floats” are just business vehicles. But the kids got plenty of candy.

Patrick fixed his flat tire, also from a truck tire wire, and repaired the inner tubes. Jim, our host, lets Patrick drive to the store for lunch supplies for the road. We reorganize and repack our gear, ready to ride again.

The day is another lazy day, looking ahead to the route in Minnesota, and contacting Warmshowers hosts, planning for the next stage.

Jim our warmshowers host is terrific, he fixed us dinner last night, breakfast this morning, and dinner tonight.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spraying the crowd with water
Heart 3 Comment 0
Kids scramble to pick up the candy
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Andrea BrownThis was my childhood, only it was logging equipment (with giant old-growth logs) instead of tractors.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Andrea BrownLove it, and this was mine too, growing up in town of 550 people in illinois....but ours was tractors later. Earlier though, we actually had floats with themes...I was Abe Lincoln on one, one year.
R
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
After the parade, we are sitting on Jim's deck and the horses ride down the street
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0