Another one for the Bikes - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2021

Another one for the Bikes

Racpat on the road again

What a year, 2020! 

For our past 3 tours, we've quit our jobs, Rachel an RN and Patrick an Architect, only to return to our same jobs. Not this time. We had several milestones in 2020,  including 25 years married, and Rachel 's 70th Birthday, and retiring from OR nursing. Then in Spring of 2021, Patrick celebrating his 55th birthday, decided to "retire" from Architectural office work and plans to do independent projects.

And now,  here we go again, "same, same but different".  After a year of hunkering down because of Covid 19, and  both of us now fully vaccinated, we are ready to explore our own country by cycling the Northern Tier. 

May 31st, renting a car one way, we will drive to Everett, WA, staying with a Warmshowers Host. June 1st we will take the Mukilteo Ferry  cycling to Anacortes  and then start cycling East. We will not follow the NT route strictly after reaching Minnesota, and will incorporate as many Rail to Trail routes as possible. Once we reach Bar Harbor ME, we will make our way to Boston by October 16th to fly to Amsterdam for a 2 week family visit in Ossendrecht. Flying home to Boise November 1st.

Then, we start planning the next adventure.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Lori LewisYAHOOOOOOOO! too bad we will not intersect, you will be far ahead of us when we head north. Have to wait for Ilya to finish work. Darn that work schedule!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Aaron RosenthalVery fun to see what your plans are. We biked the Northern Tier in 2006 and had a great pedal. This past summer we did our first rail trail (Mickelson) and look forward to doing more. It is looking like we will be doing a portion of the Great Divide route in NM.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Robert FlynnI see you are coming through Michigan and thought maybe you might want the new updated website that is all trails of Michigan . www.mitrails.org it has all of the info on each trail . Just to brag a little Michigan now has 3,000 miles of trails with more coming online . Have a safe journey maybe see you when come through .
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Robert FlynnThanks Robert! I've saved the link. What do you think of the route through Michigan. I had looked at the trails that go through central MI but we wanted to see the coast line.

By the way, I'm from Illinois originally, but graduated from Western Michigan University in 1972.
We welcome any suggestions you have, and if you want to meet up and ride with us you are welcome.
Rachel
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Robert FlynnThat is an excellent route as you get to South Haven and head east you are on the Great Lake To Lake Trail that is now signed the whole way . Also the Hart Montague trail was resurfaced not long ago . A lot of neat little towns along the coast . Now if you want a direct route after you get off the Badger ( great trip ) in Ludington you can head straight east on USBR 20 and into Canada to Buffalo . You would be on Rail -Trails most of the way in Mi . . One other tip is in Mi . you can camp at state parks as they have to take you in if you are on a loaded touring bike not matter what .
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Robert FlynnExcellent, thanks good to know about the state parks. Keep suggestions coming, we welcome all advice.
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago