Day 32: Williston to Tioga - Racpat Northern Tier 2021 - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2021

Day 32: Williston to Tioga

North Dakota has ridges

“They sure raped the land, and when it’s not needed in a few years, they’ll just leave it,” Patrick says as we are cycling on a short bike path out of Williston and back roads to eventually back to Highway 2. Oil derricks and storage tanks dot the land.

We start early again, 6 am. The wind though is onto us….instead of the predictable 2-3 hour window of calm, we have a gentle and building wind from the SE as the road goes mostly east. We wind our way on the back roads to an intersection where the pavement ends, so we turn north to Epping, a town with a great city park and then return to Highway 2. North with a SE wind! We’d almost have forgotten what it’s like to hear something other than the wind, and to actually coast on the declines. The landscape changes almost immediately to fewer oil derricks and back to rolling farmland. “The old Farmers planned to stay and planted trees,” Patrick says, then adds “the oil company just builds tiny houses for $160,000 and plops them in the field.”

Back on highway 2, marks the return of the ridges. A long 1-2mile incline to the ridge, reaching the top and see the small divot down and the next long 1-2 mile climb to yet another ridge. The wind continues from the southeast, at Ray we stop at the convenience store for chocolate milk and AC. Moving on, the ridges continue. We get another respite from the wind in our ears and a bit of tailwind as we turn north to the town of Tioga. It calls itself the Oil Capital of North Dakota.

By noon, we are in the Black Gold Hotel. The afternoon is lazy watching two Euro2020 quarter final games. By 4pm there are 30mph winds. We walk to the AJ Café for an excellent burger and nachos. Tomorrow another early start and a short day to a Warmshowers host in Stanley.

Bike path out of Williston
Heart 0 Comment 0
With quite the barrier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Epping city park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Epping is know for Buffalo Town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Out of Epping heading to Highway 2
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike Pedestrian way on the overpass over the railroad
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The farms have plenty of trees planted
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick finds another treasure
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ridges
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 1,333 miles (2,145 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0