Monreale - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 19, 2023

Monreale

It’s only six miles from our room in Palermo to our room in Monreale.  A ridiculously short distance for our first travel day of the tour.  Still, the ride was not without interest.  It began with four miles biking southwest on Via Vittorio Emanuele, the primary boulevard that splits the historical heart of the city.  Palermo, as we reported yesterday, is decidedly unfriendly on a bicycle - and that was experiencing the city on one of its very few ‘bike routes’.  Vittorio Emanuele carries at least some bike traffic because it’s the main route out of town to the northwest, but it is in no way a bike route.   A very busy four lane street at first, it soon narrows to a very busy two lane street - one with no shoulder at all as both sides of the road are lined with parked cars.  So really, there’s just a narrow lane to share with the cars, with hazards on both sides - oncoming traffic on the left, car doors on the right.  But it gets worse, because often the driving lane is partially blocked by a row of double-parked cars, leaving only a half lane for moving vehicles plus whatever can be stolen from the narrow oncoming lane.  It’s interesting.

Leaving Palermo.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An interesting moment. On the right: a row of parked cars and a few others double parked in the moving lane. On the left: a row of parked cars, a car passing us in the oncoming lane, and a motorcycle passing the passing car.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Anne MathersAh, yes. Sicilian traffic at its best. LOL.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsThat's true urban combat riding!

It's reminiscent of what I saw in Pakistan nearly 40 years ago. The concept of a "lane" is a mere suggestion; the apparent protocol is to be the first to arrive at any given patch of pavement and flash your lights at oncoming traffic, expecting them to have the good sense to yield to you. Collisions were not an unheard-of phenomenon.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

So that was the first four miles.  The last two were different, as we finally left Vittorio Emanuele for a side street that climbs up steeply for the next two miles before finally leveling out in small but very congested Monreale.  

We didn’t stop for photos during the ride since concentrating on survival skills took priority; but fortunately we have video to help us remember so we aren’t tempted to bike in Palermo again.  Really, three times is enough.  We’re pushing our luck.

Video sound track: We Gotta Get Out of This Place, by the Animals

We arrived at our room at 12:30, happy to be alive, delighted to be able to check in early, and elated that there is secure bike parking on the ground floor so we don’t have to carry the bikes up a narrow two story staircase like we did the last time we stayed in this town.

The view from our window, Monreale.
Heart 1 Comment 0

With the entire afternoon free, we spent the next hour and a half loafing in the room before finally stepping out for a hike in the hills that start immediately on the edge of town.  Pretty much an out and back - three miles up, three miles down.  Within about four blocks we left town and enjoyed one stunning view after another for the next three hours.

Leaving Monreale. Within about four blocks we’re on the edge of town and into the hills.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rachael is very safety conscious and never looks at her phone when sh’s walking.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bringing up the rear, as usual.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Steadily uphill for the next two-plus miles.
Heart 3 Comment 0
After about a mile the pavement ended and we’re walking through the weeds, wildflowers and cacti.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Asphodel and spurge lined the path.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We followed a marked but unnamed route.
Heart 2 Comment 0
After another half mile we entered an umbrella pine forest, enjoying a refreshing break from the warm afternoon sun.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Dramatic views to the northwest. Actually, I think this is the direction we’ll be biking into tomorrow.
Heart 4 Comment 0
An interesting spiky hill. It looks like something you’d see in the Balkans.
Heart 4 Comment 0
An open view northwest to the sea. I think this is Mondello and Cape Gallo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Identification, please.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Andrea BrownThere are lots of purple daisy-like things. You'll probably need to include the leaves for a positive ID. I'm going to take a stab and tentatively call this Anemone hortensis.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Andrea BrownSame stab from me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemone_hortensis
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Crowning the next hill behind us is Castellaccio, an abandoned castle. There must be a knockout view from up there, but it was too far off for the time we had.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rachael turned back about a half mile from our planned endpoint when she started hearing gunshots in the woods.
Heart 5 Comment 0
In the hills just to the west of Monreale is the Abbey of San Martino delle Scale, a Benedictine monastery. Putatively founded in the seventh century during the rule of Pope Gregory the Great, it was later destroyed by the Saracens and rebounded in the 1300’s.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Castellaccio makes a dramatic backdrop for our walk back to town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking east across the valley from Monreale.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Monreale Cathedral, Palermo, and the sea. The promontory on the right side of the bay is Monte Catalfano.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A closer look at Monreale Cathedral. We’ll check out the interior in the morning.
Heart 3 Comment 0

On the way back we took a detour to walk past Chiesa della Croci, a small hillside church we had noticed on the way out.  The detour took us to a point above the church from which we dropped down a long, ancient-feeling staircase to the church and then on into town.  We couldn’t get into the church or its grounds, but the views were spectacular.

A zoomed in look at Chiesa della Croci, a small church overlooking Monreale. An ethereal tanker hovers in the bay offshore from Palermo.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Descending to Chiesa della Croci.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Descending to Monreale from Chiesa della Croci.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cathedral, and the hills rimming the opposite side of the valley.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering Monreale.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Monreale.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Monreale.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Monreale.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Monreale is a small place, but thanks to the tourism associated with the cathedral there are several restaurants in town.  Not much is open on Sunday nights though, so we were pleased that the restaurant next door to our hotel is open tonight, gets good reviews, and even takes online reservations.  We made one for seven, but when we arrived all the staff were seated to their own supper and we were told that the restaurant didn’t actually open for another hour and a half.

So we went on a restaurant hunt, eventually finding a small osteria behind the cathedral.  We enjoyed a quite nice, simple meal accompanied by conversation with the only other diners in the place, a couple from Virginia.  They’re quite interesting and well traveled, largely as a result of her career working in refugee resettlement for the foreign service.

Well, what else is open around here?
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith AdamsKinda leaves me scratching my head as to why they would offer reservations for a time when they're not prepared to serve guests...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsOur reaction also. Later, we got an email from the booking website asking why we hadn’t shown up for our reservation.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Chiesa della Croci, the church we walked past on our hike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Monreale Cathedral.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsIt's got an almost ghostly glow as it fades into the night sky, doesn't it?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The ride doesn’t really merit a map, but we’d like to remember the hike.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 6 miles, 1,000’; for the tour: 25 miles, 2,700’

Today's ride: 6 miles (10 km)
Total: 25 miles (40 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Suzanne GibsonIt looks like walking your bike in Palermo wasn't even a real option. I like the way Rachaels's video catches Scott's frustrated sigh when no one budges from his path.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Susan CarpenterGlad you survived the chaos of Palermo. Great video and song selection
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierNo horses on the road this time? What a smart idea to stay up in Monreale!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetYour exit route makes ours look like a cakewalk!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago