America again - An Italian Spring, 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2023

America again

Just a few words about the flight, which was pleasantly uneventful.  We’re up at 3:30, and at the airport by 4:15, two hours before departure.  We’re checked in and on the way to our departure terminal forty minutes later, something over $200 the poorer for baggage fees for our three pieces: the bikes and large duffel bag.  We elected the cheapest seats which didn’t include any baggage, so it’s not as bad as it sounds.  After our fright about finding our flight had been cancelled, we’re just happy to be going home on schedule.

Waiting for the taxi, 4 AM.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first flight not only doesn’t include baggage, it doesn’t include food either, unless you count a glass of water and a small bag with about six pretzels in it.  We’ve got good seats though, with me having a window seat and good visibility for the flight north to Frankfurt.

There was a solid cloud cover over northern Italy and the Dolomites, so there were no land views until we were further north. The clouds were interesting though, especially that prominent formation in the distance that looks like an iceberg on the sea.
Heart 2 Comment 0
That must be the Rhine down there, maybe somewhere around Heidelberg?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltSo different from the North American mega farms.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltReally. I like everything about this, including just its appearance. It looks like a work of art.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
On the descent into Frankfurt.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have more than five hours in Frankfurt: enough for us to grab a modest meal (Frankfurt’s not one of those airports with a broad selection of eateries to choose from) and then settle into a chair to work on the blog, read a book, and totally lose track of the time.  We weren’t that far from missing our departure, which after having such an abundance of time to work with would make a good story for the blog but be pretty embarrassing.  We really are almost getting too old for this business.

Our plane for the ten hour flight to Vancouver was a 747-400, a huge plane with triplets for seats.  We lucked out though and we’re seated in the next to last row, where because of the tapered rear of the fuselage there were only two seats in our row, with extra legroom. 

We were never told why our flight sat idling on the tarmac for nearly a full hour before finally departing - a worrying situation, because we only had two hours in Vancouver for our final flight.  About half of the delay was recovered in flight though, and we had plenty of time in Vancouver.  We arrived in Portland just after six, right on schedule, and were checking in to our studio apartment by seven.  Afterwards we walked over to Elizabeth’s (only about six blocks away) to pick up the Raven, Rachael ransacked the nearby Safeway for essentials for the first day or two, and it was lights out by 8:30.

So, no drama or particularly good stories from the flight- which is of course just what you want.  We’ve had our drama on this tour already, and didn’t really need any more.

Crossing Greenland?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Betsy EvansThanks for the blog! I don't comment much, but I have enjoyed following along. I'm not sure where I'll end up cycling this fall, but southern Italy is a possibility. Or maybe Sardinia. So many places to see!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

So this would be the spot where I might say something insightful about the past three months, or say how it feels to be home, or discuss costs or lodgings or highlights, or present some statistics.  I’m thinking I won’t though, because something came up today that convinced me that I might as well open a new chapter for the next three months back in America (spoiler alert: it’s bird #161!) so I’ll cut this short.  I’ll just leave you with the first few statistics that come to mind, and express our heartfelt thanks for joining us once again.  Your feedback and involvement mean so much to both of us, and make all the difference.  Family.

  • 0 flat tires!
  • 1 lost wallet
  • 3 CycleBlaze meetups 
  • 11 regions of Italy
  • 48 new bird species

Well, one more thing just because it pleases me for no obvious reason: we’ve now set a wheel down in 19 of Italy’s 20 regions, leaving only little Aosta up in the northwest corner next to the Alps.  On this trip we hit 11 of them:

  • Sicily
  • Calabria
  • Basilicata
  • Apuglia
  • Molise
  • Abruzzo (barely)
  • Marche
  • Emilia-Romagna
  • Lombardy
  • Trentino-Alto Adige 
  • Veneto
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Tricia GrahamYes you needed no more drama on the trip home ! Thankyou for keeping me entertained as we dream up our next trip
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Tricia GrahamYou’re welcome, Tricia. That was the one good thing about losing my wallet. I remember thinking at the time “Oh, Tricia Graham is going to love this one”.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Andrea BrownWelcome back! It's a lot better time of year to be here and we're getting some phenomenal weather right now. Happy jet lagging.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownThanks! Surprisingly to us, it’s pretty nice being back and staying put for awhile. The weather is a definite plus.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensWelcome home, we are not far behind our return.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rich FrasierWelcome home! As usual, a great journal of a great trip. Looking forward to your further adventures!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensThanks! Have. Safe, boring flight home.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierThanks for following long gain, Rich. I’m sorry it wasn’t in the cards to meet up with you this time, but maybe this winter? Any chance you’ll head down to Spain again?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Janice BranhamWelcome home, and thanks for the vicarious thrills I get following your adventures.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Janice BranhamThanks! We feel the same way following you, and wishing ourselves back on the Coeur d’Alene Trail.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago